32nd Floor Platinum Tower
Jumeirah Lakes Towers
PO Box 336750
United Arab Emirates
Randall is based in CMS’ Dubai office, focusing on disputes arising in the energy, natural resources and construction/infrastructure sectors.
His experience includes advising on the full spectrum of disputes in the oil and gas and energy industries, including disputes arising out joint ventures, granting instruments (concessions/PSCs/TSCs), sales, transportation and processing agreements as well as FPSO/rig disputes. He also acts on large projects, construction and infrastructure claims under major standard forms of contract, and has experience advising on public international law issues (including investment treaty disputes and matters concerning UNCLOS/international law of the sea).
Admitted as a barrister and solicitor in both New Zealand and Australia, Randall has experience in all forms of dispute resolution, specialising in international arbitration.
- An independent oil and gas exploration company in a dispute with its joint venture partner arising out of a joint bid agreement. The dispute concerns the proper allocation of participating interests in a Middle Eastern TSC, and associated JOA and farm-in agreements (ICC Arbitration, London).
- An international oil and gas exploration company, as operator, in two separate multi-party disputes concerning cash calls and related defaults with JOA partners in West Africa (LCIA Arbitration, London).
- An international oil and gas exploration company in a dispute relating to shut-ins and lost production pursuant to a construction and tie-in agreement (Expert Determination).
- A subsidiary of an international oil supermajor in relation to the termination of a suite of agreements relating to the production and transportation of gas from offshore fields to the UK NTS (High Court, England). The claim was a ‘bet-the-field’ dispute for the supermajor.
- An international oil and gas companies in relation to investment treaty issues.
- An independent oil and gas exploration company in disputes arising out of JOA, Farm-out and PSC agreements concerning offshore licences in a North African country.
- An international oil and gas company on contentious issues concerning the interpretation of a TSC in the Middle East, and associated rights with its joint venture partners.
- An international oil & gas company on various contentious matters with its joint venture partner and the KRG arising from assets in Kurdistan.
- An oil and gas company in a dispute with its EPC contractor over the construction of initial production facilities in Iraq. Over US$450 million in dispute. (LCIA Arbitration rules, London seat.)
- An oil and gas company in disputes with its contractor concerning the construction of four offshore topsides (High Court, England).
- An oil and gas company in disputes with its drilling contractor concerning the performance of drilling operations for two on-shore wells in Africa (ICC Arbitration, London).
- An oil and gas company in disputes and a potential arbitration with its EPC contractor over the construction of two sub-sea pipelines offshore Turkmenistan.
- A state-owned electricity company in potential disputes concerning long-term access rights and associated maintenance costs relating to various fibre optic cables forming part of the electricity network system.
2007 – LLB, Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand