Dirk Van Liedekerke
Dirk Van Liedekerke
Chaussée de La Hulpe 178
Dirk specialises in EU and Belgian competition law and telecommunications law. With more than twenty years of experience in these areas, his expertise ranges from advising major EU public operators on electronic communications regulation, to assisting with litigation on inter-operator conflicts, regulatory complaints, and competition and merger control filings and litigation. He counsels and assists undertakings active in all industries in respect of the implication on their business activities of the Belgian and EU competition rules.
Prior to joining CMS in 2017, Dirk was a partner at Olswang after having started his professional career at Coudert Brothers and as a teaching assistant at the College of Europe in Bruges.
- Competition Law Investigations (cartels, abuse of dominance, etc.): Dirk assists undertakings and associations of undertakings throughout their dealings with EU and national competition agencies, including the handling of complaints, dawn raids, responding to requests for information and statement of objections, interim measures, and appeals against enforcement decisions.
- Merger Control: preparing and filing EU and national merger notifications.
- Civil enforcement actions: Dirk has a wide experience with claims for damages and cease and desist actions in national courts related to competition law infringements.
- Electronic Communications: vast experience in counselling undertakings on compliance with the sector specific regulatory framework and in handling public and private litigation (including appeals against decisions of the sector regulators).
- Questions for preliminary ruling: Dirk has extensive experience in handling all aspects of questions for preliminary ruling both at national (Constitutional Court and ‘Cour de cassation’) and at European level (European Court of Justice).
- 1994 - Member of the Brussels Bar
- 1990 - College of Europe, Bruges (Diploma of Advanced European Legal Studies)
- 1989 - University of Ghent (Master in Law)
- Brussels Bar
- International Bar Association
- Member of the Belgian Association of Competition Lawyers
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the publication “Revue du droit des industries de réseau”
- Competition Aspects of Interconnection Agreements In The Telecommunications Sector, Study for the European Commission, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 1995.
- Study On The Scope Of The Legal Instruments Under EC Competition Law Available To The European Commission To Implement The Results Of The Ongoing Review Of Certain Situations In The Telecommunications And Cable TV Sectors, Study for the European Commission (DG IV), 1997
- Various annual reviews of EU Competition Law published in Common Market Law Review