Chaussée de La Hulpe 178
Veerle specialises in Intellectual Property Law (copyright, trademarks, patents and designs both contentious and non-contentious), advertising and marketing, media and technology, privacy and Life Science. She is a highly regarded IP and commercial litigator with a practice that emphasises trademarks, copyrights and patents in various fields, such as foods, cosmetics, fashion and pharmaceuticals.
Managing a considerable trademark practice for many years, she has developed in-depth knowledge of all aspects of Benelux and European trademark law. In addition to her trademark practice, Veerle has been involved in complex patent litigation in various fields, among others pharmaceuticals. She also developed a specific expertise in various fields of the Life Science sector, e.g. regulatory aspects with respect to pharmaceuticals, medical devices, cosmetics and biocides, licencing, combating counterfeiting and piracy, distribution and parallel import issues.
- Assisting a major music company on copyright matters and trade practices
- Patent litigation for a global pharmaceutical company
- Trade Mark Litigation for major companies in various industries (food, fashion, cosmetics, petroleum, sports, office tools, etc.)
- Worldwide trademark portfolio management for a European operator of high deluxe Outlet Shopping Villages
- Assisting and representing a Belgian company, owner of a famous Belgian comic strip character, in all IP related matters, including copyright litigation
- Advising and assisting a major sports retailer on parallel import issues
- Copyright and portrait rights litigation with regard to the use of authorised pictures for a non-authorised media campaign of a magazine, in which the pictures were published
- Defence of a literary author in a censorship case
- Evaluation and advice of media campaigns and publicity in various fields
- Custom seizure procedures for various clients
- Advice on legal classification, import and distribution of human-derived (engineered) tissue product
- Advice on ‘borderline’ status issues for a global pharmaceutical newly developed product, i.e. cosmetic/medical device/pharmaceutical
- Advice regarding the possible new ways of distributing pharmaceuticals in Belgium
- Advice and assistance with regards to a product recall of a medical device for non-compliance with statutory Belgian language requirements
- Advice and assistance with regards to an incident during Clinical Trial Phase III in Belgium
- Parallel import of Plant Protection Products
- Advice regarding the marketing of nutritional supplements, diet products and homeopathic products in Belgium
- Advice on comparative advertising of medical devices for a Swedish company
- Advice and assistance on various contractual matters (drafting, licensing, distribution, termination, etc.) with regard to medical devices, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, nutritional supplements, etc. both for national and international clients
- Various advices on clinical trials for pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- 1991 - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, KUL (Law Degree)
- 1992 - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, KUL (Masters in Art and Culture, 1992)
- - University Paris II, Pantheon Assas Post Graduate in Intellectual Property Law (D.E.A. Droit de la propriété artistique littéraire et industrielle)
- 1994 - Bar admission (Brussels, Belgium)
- Deputy judge at the Brussels Dutch-speaking Commercial Court
- Partner by CMS DeBacker 2002-2012 en Of Counsel since 2012
- Member of several professional organisations (e.g. INTA, The Benelux Trade Mark Association, the Belgian Copyright Association)
- Member of BMM Bulletin’s Editorial Board (Benelux Trade Mark and Design Journal)
- Member of the board of several non-profit organisations in the fields of Art, Media and Entertainment (e.g. APrior, magazine on contemporary art; FM Brussel, official Flemish radio in Brussels).
- Panellist for .eu domain name ADR proceedings and an arbiter with CEPINA for .be domain name ADR proceedings
- "Filming or taking pictures of or by security services, basic legal principles" Private Veiligheid n°57 - Uitgeverij Politeia Editions, October 2013
- "Trade Mark Law and Freedom of Speech, comments on some recent Belgian decisions" BMM Bulletin nr. 136 - Otto Cramwinckel Uitgeverij Amsterdam, April 2013
- "Exhaustive overview of all IP enforcement measurs available under Belgian Law" Veerle won the prestigious Benelux WIM MAK Award for this publication in 2012.
- Article on Comparative Advertising, Larcier 2010
- "Enkele kanttekeningen bij de bevoegdheid van de stakingsrechter in geval van merkenrechtelijke geschillen", noot onder Vz. Kh Antwerpen, 16 February 2006, I.R.D.I. 2006, p. 193-197
- "Geneesmiddelenreclame in België", BMM Bulletin 2004, 9 pages
- “Domeinnamen: het registreren en verdedigen van .be – en .com – domeinnamen” in the Belgian reference book for Legal counsels “Bijvoorbeeld 2008”, Kluwer.
- ''Depot van een merk'', AdvocatenPraktijk 2000, Kluwer Rechtswetenschappen, 87 pages.
- ''Uitzonderingen op het auteursrecht'', Mediarecht 1999, Kluwer Editorial, 14 pages.
- ''Teleshopping in Vlaanderen'', in collaboration with Christine De Keersmaeker, Mediarecht 1998, Kluwer Editorial, 9 pages.
- ''Filmfinanciering - een overzicht van overheidsmaatregelen'', in collaboration with Christine De Keersmaeker, Mediarecht 1997, Kluwer Editorial, 10 pages.
- ''Geschillenbeslechting in de amusementswereld: auteursrecht en nevenrechten'', in collaboration with Christine De Keersmaeker, Mediarecht 1997, Kluwer Editorial, 12 pages.
- ''Vertalingen, een bijzondere vorm van overeenstemming in het Beneluxmerkenrecht'', noot onder Hof van Beroep te Brussel dd. 7 February 1996, I.R.D.I. 1996, Mys & Breesch, 3 pages.