Dr Pascal G. Favre
Dr Pascal G. Favre
Rue Bovy-Lysberg 2
P.O. Box 5824
1211 Geneva 11
Pascal Favre is the head of the Corporate/M&A and Competition Practice Groups of CMS Geneva.
Pascal regularly advises clients on all types of international and domestic M&A transactions, transaction finance, corporate restructurings, relocations, corporate law and general contract matters. His practice focuses particularly on joint ventures and projects based both in Switzerland and abroad. Pascal also has extensive experience in acquisition finance, corporate lending, crowdfunding and collective investment schemes, with a special emphasis on those involving real estate.
In addition to developing a broad Corporate/M&A practice, Pascal also specializes in Swiss competition and distribution laws. He frequently handles, on behalf of corporate clients, the competition law aspects of their domestic or cross-border M&A transactions. Pascal has developed solid experience in notifications on concentrations and merger control procedures involving Swiss or foreign companies operating in Switzerland. He also regularly represents companies in complex antitrust proceedings brought before the Swiss Competition Commission. In addition to advising on matters involving searches and internal investigations, Pascal counsels companies on compliance and leniency programs in the context of a continuously evolving competition regulatory environment.
Pascal is recommended as a competition practitioner by leading ranking publications. Legal 500 EMEA 2018 has recognized him as "impressive" for Competition. Most recently, Pascal has been identified by Global Competition Review 2018 and his work on behalf of SNCF Mobilités has been included in the GCR 100 Global Elite’s 18th edition.
Clients from across a variety of sectors particularly value Pascal’s ability to couple his knowledge of contract law with his expertise in competition law practice, and to deliver comprehensive and tailored solutions to the complex issues affecting their businesses.
Pascal is the author of numerous publications, and is a frequent lecturer at universities and speaker in the fields of contract and competition laws.
Highlights of Pascal’s recent work include advising:
- MICHELIN, the world’s second largest tire manufacturer, in its acquisition of a minority stake in the German automotive service provider, A.T.U Auto-Teile-Unger Handels GmbH & Co. KG, from Mobivia, a European leader in the automotive servicing and repair market;
- SNCF Mobilités EPIC, the French largest national railway operator and a subsidiary of SNCF Group, in its acquisition of a 45% stake in BLS Cargo AG, one of the main players in the Swiss rail freight transport market;
- INEOS, one of the world’s leading multinational corporations in the chemical industry, in its acquisition of FC Lausanne-Sport, a Swiss historic football club;
- Meditest SA, a family-owned group based in Vevey and specialised in medical laboratories, in its sale to Unilabs, Laboratoires d’analyses médicales SA;
- The founders of My-Store SA, Western Switzerland’s leading online outlet shop, in their sale of a 60% stake to the Swiss media company, Ringier AG;
- Crowdpark SA on all legal, corporate and regulatory aspects of setting up and launching its real estate crowdfunding platform;
- A global leader in rental and management of industrial wagons and containers based in Geneva in the context of a demerger and capex financing transactions;
- A world leading brewer with respect to distribution partnership agreements and export contracts;
- A global leader in security inks for banknotes and value documents, on several corporate, refinancing and M&A issues;
- The world's largest manufacturer and maintainer of people-moving products based in the US, in the context of the restructuring of its European entities as well as M&A transactions in Switzerland.
Competition and Antitrust
- SNCF Mobilités on the competition law aspects of the M&A transaction with BLS Cargo AG;
- A leading brand in luxury skincare in Europe in the structuring of its distribution network;
- A leading French publisher in connection with an alleged ban on parallel imports of French-language books;
- Azienda elettrica ticinese in the notification to the Swiss Competition Commission of its acquisition, from Alpiq AG and PRH Holding SA, of a majority interest in Società Elettrica Sopracenerina SA;
- A global leader in content publishing, production and distribution based in France on a concentration involving the sale of its distribution entities in Switzerland;
- A global leader in finance protection and private-equity on a concentration in the travel agency services sector.
- 2005 Docteur en droit, University of Fribourg, Switzerland (summa cum laude, obtained three awards: Peter Jäggi Stiftung, Walther Hug Stiftung and Joseph Vigener)
- 2004 Bar Admission (Geneva, Switzerland, 1st ranked)
- Swiss Bar Association (Schweizerischer Anwaltsverband/Fédération Suisse des Avocats) (SAV/FSA)
- Geneva Bar Association
- Association Suisse du Droit de la Concurrence / Swiss Association of Competition Law (ASAS)
- Schweizerischer Juristenverein / Société Suisse des Juristes
Competition and Antitrust
- Commentaire romand, Droit de la concurrence, Commentaire des articles 4 al. 3, 9 et 10 LCart, in: Vincent Martenet/Christian Bovet/Pierre Tercier (eds.), 2nd ed., Geneva et al. 2013, with Silvio Venturi
- Le contrôle des concentrations d'entreprises dans le secteur de l'électricité, Pratique de la Commission de la concurrence Jusletter 27 October 2014, with Jérôme Levrat
- Les perquisitions en droit de la concurrence, "New de l'électricité" Bulletin SEV/AES 7/2010 (Association des Entreprises électriques Suisses), June 2010, with Jérôme Levrat
- The Merger Control Review, Switzerland, in: Ilene Knable Gotts (ed.), Law Business Research, since 2010 to date
- Les sanctions directes et le conseil aux entreprises : zones d'ombre, in: Marc Amstutz/Walter Stoffel/Patrik Ducrey (eds.), Le droit des cartels suisse 13 ans après le changement de paradigme, IDé, Zurich et al. 2009, with Silvio Venturi
- L'abus de position dominante en droit de la concurrence, droit matériel, Fiches juridiques suisses N° 337, November 2007, with Silvio Venturi
- Concentration d'entreprises : Exclusion du droit de recours des tiers, Note à l'ATF 2A.535/2004 du 14 juin 2005, Jusletter 17 October 2005, with Silvio Venturi Other contributions
- Developments in National Competition Laws, Swiss Report, Wirtschaft und Wettbewerb (WuW), Various reports since 2007 to date
- Competition and Cartel Leniency, Practical Law, Multi-Jurisdictional Guide, Switzerland, Various reports from 2009 to 2014
- International Law Office (ILO), Swiss Competition Reports Various reports since 2007 to date
- Recueil de contrats commerciaux, Contrat de représentation exclusive, in: Sylvain Marchand/Christine Chappuis/Laurent Hirsch (eds.), Bâle et al. 2013
- Recueil en droit de l'énergie, Textes internationaux, européens et suisses, Geneva et al. 2011, with Isabelle Fellrath and Frank Spoorenberg
- Les contrats spéciaux, 4th ed., Zurich et al. 2009, with Prof. Pierre Tercier
- Le transfert conventionnel de contrat, Analyse théorique et pratique, thesis Fribourg, AISUF 246, Zurich et al. 2005
- Best efforts clauses in Swiss law: a few considerations in the light of selected examples, in: Concerto arbitral en trois mouvements pour Pierre Tercier in: Lara Hammoud/Clarisse von Wunschheim/Marie-Noëlle Zen-Ruffinen (eds.), Geneva et al., 2013, with Prof. Marie-Noëlle Zen-Ruffinen
- Le point sur la Partie spéciale du droit des obligations / Entwicklungen im Obligationenrecht, Besonderer Teil, Revue suisse de jurisprudence (RSJ/SJZ) 110 (2014), 109 (2013), 108 (2012), 107 (2011), 106 (2010), with Prof. Pierre Tercier
- Renonciation anticipée à former un recours de droit public : Revirement de jurisprudence, Note à l'ATF 4P.110/2006 du 17 juillet 2006, Jusletter 23 October 2006, with Silvio Venturi
- 2017, the 8th Edition of the Workshop on competition law by the Centre Patronal jointly with the Swiss Association of Competition Law (ASAS) and the Centre for Company Law (CEDIDAC), "Fee and Tariffs Recommendations"
- 2018, 2015, 2014 and 2012, University of Geneva, Master course, Faculty of economic and social sciences, under the direction of Prof. Marie-Noëlle Zen-Ruffinen, "Direct sanctions under the Swiss Competition Act"
- 2016 and 2014, University of Fribourg, Master course, Banking and Finance law, under the direction of Prof. Jean-Baptiste Zufferey
- 2010 and 2009, University of Fribourg, Master course (International commercial contracts), under the direction of Prof. Pierre Tercier, "Joint Ventures in Switzerland: Key contractual issues and merger control regulation"
- Workshop on the drafting of commercial contracts, Geneva Bar Association / University of Geneva, February 2014, Agency contract, exclusive distribution and franchising agreements, with Prof. Sylvain Marchand and Prof. Jacques de Werra
- Development institute international, 4th International Roundtable General Counsels 2012, Geneva June 2012, Dealing with legal privilege and procedures, the headache of your legal team
- Swiss Association of Asset Managers (VSV-ASG-SAAM), La distribution de fonds de placement, Geneva, November 2010
- Association des entreprises électriques suisses (VSE/AES), Le droit de la concurrence – Défis pour la branche, Lausanne, April 2010