Dr Stephan Werlen, LL.M.
Dr Stephan Werlen, LL.M.
Stephan Werlen focuses on M&A and corporate law, joint ventures, MBOs, acquisition finance, venture capital transactions, corporate restructuring and corporate relocation. He has broad experience both in domestic and international mergers and acquisitions (including auction processes) and the financing of such transactions. In addition, he is an expert in W&I insurance transactions (M&A insurance) with a long track record in this area. Stephan Werlen also regularly advises foreign companies on their relocation to Switzerland and assists companies in their ongoing corporate and commercial activities (e.g. shareholders' agreements, capital measures and other corporate housekeeping matters, supply contracts, general terms & conditions, etc.).
Stephan Werlen joined CMS in 2003 and became a partner in 2009. He is a member of the CMS Corporate Practice Group and the CMS Private Equity Sector Group.
Stephan Werlen studied law at the University of Zurich (lic. iur., Dr. iur) and earned a post-graduate degree from University of Chicago Law School (LL.M.). Before joining us he worked at the District Court of Zurich, wrote his thesis on the legal position of the target company in takeover transactions (Die Rechtsstellung der Zielgesellschaft im Übernahmekampf, Schweizer Schriften zum Bankrecht, Bd. 64, Zürich 2001) and was an associate with another Zurich based business law firm.
Stephan Werlen is an officially admitted representative of listed companies at the SIX Swiss Exchange.
- Advised Roto Frank AG on acquisition of Dachfenster Keller GmbH.
- Advised CCC Group in the acquisition of the majority stake in Karl Vögele AG, Uznach.
- Advised shareholders on sale of R. Wick Group to JAG Jakob AG.
- Advised Capcellence Mittelstandspartner GmbH on acquisition of a stake in Argo-Hytos Group.
- Advised Axpo on the sale of its shares in Elektrizitätswerk des Kantons Schaffhausen AG to the Canton of Schaffhausen.
- Advised shareholders on the sale of Infinigate Holding AG to H.I.G. Capital.
- Advised Endeit Capital on its equity investment into Chronext AG (financing round).
- Advised shareholders on sale of SF-Filter AG to Ambienta SGR.
- Advised Festo on acquisition of Eichenberger Group.
- Advised Blue Corporate Finance on cooperation with Quarton Partners.
- Advised group of investors on investment in fabfab GmbH.
- Advised ads-tec on cooperation with Leclanché SA.
- Advised management on MBO of SMA und Partner AG.
- Advised Matthews on acquisition of Wetzel group of companies.
- Advised Polaris on acquisition of swissauto companies.
- 2003 – Master of Laws, LL.M., University of Chicago Law School (USA)
- 2001 – Thesis, Dr.iur., magna cum laude, University of Zurich
- 2000 – Bar exam
- 1997 – legal studies, lic.iur., magna cum laude, University of Zurich
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss Bar Association
- Swiss Private Equity & Corporate Finance Association (SECA)
- University of Chicago Alumni Association
- University of Zurich Alumni Association
- "Stichentscheid in der Generalversammlung, Besprechung des Urteils 4A_579/2016 des Bundesgerichts vom 28. Februar 2017 (BGE 143 III 120 ff.)", GesKR 3/2017, 361 ff.
- "Versicherung von Transaktionsrisiken − Ein Überblick über die verschiedenen Arten, Verwendungszwecke und Problemstellungen beim Einsatz von M&A Versicherungen", GesKR, March 2013
- "Mergers & Acquisitions: Strategische Investoren auf dem Vormarsch", Swiss Equity magazin, 17 September 2008
- "Die massgeschneiderte GmbH wird Realität", Handelszeitung, 24 May 2006
- Impact HUB Geneva, participating as speaker on the panel at the SECA Lunch Event for R&W Insurance, 6 November 2017
- Presentation on the topic: «Grant, vest, exercise: Rechtliche und steuerrechtliche Fallstricke beim Einsatz von Mitarbeiterbeteiligungen», Technopark, Startup Campus, Legal Tuesday, 14 March 2017
- Lecture at SECA Breakfast Event "Gewährleistungen in M&A-Transaktionen: Möglichkeiten, Grenzen und Nutzen der Versicherung von Gewährleistungen und Freistellungen in M&A-Transaktionen", 6 April 2016