78 Cannon Street
Barney Hearnden is a partner in the CMS Corporate Team. He has broad experience of advising clients on matters including mergers & acquisitions, takeovers, equity financing, joint ventures, group reorganisations and general corporate and regulatory matters, both in the UK and across Europe. He has a particular focus on advising clients in the financial services and real estate sectors.
Barney also advises clients on establishing and investing in public and private investment funds, and has particular expertise in limited partnerships, LLP vehicles and offshore unit trusts, in a variety of contexts including special purpose investment vehicles and pension funding partnerships.
He spent one year practising US securities law with the New York firm Stroock, and has been a member of the Company Law Sub-committee for the City of London Law Society.
Barney leads the firm’s CSR partnership with Barts and The London Charity, The London Community Credit Union and the London Children's Ballet.
- National Australia Group on various matters, including the transfer of a £5bn commercial real estate portfolio, and the sale of Northern Bank and National Irish Bank.
- International banking group on the acquisition of a majority interest in a Polish retail bank.
- Eurobank Ergasias S.A. on the disposal of Polbank S.A.
- Various clients (both companies and pension fund trustees) on the establishment of pension funding partnerships based on loans, IP rights and other assets.
- Big Yellow Group plc on the formation and subsequent termination of its strategic joint venture with Pramerica Real Estate Investors, various equity placings and its Armadillo joint ventures.
- Moorfield Group on its public to private MBO, its acquisition of Raven Audley Court PLC and a portfolio of properties from WA Shearings, and its joint venture with Hines.
- AMETEK, Inc. on a series of acquisitions in the UK and across Europe.
- J Sainsbury plc on its two joint ventures with Land Securities.
- 1985 – M.A., Christ’s College, Cambridge
- Shareholder Activism: a European Perspective (2016, contributing editor)
- Handbuch der Europäischen AG (UK contributing editor)