1 South Quay
Carl is a Partner in our Dispute Resolution group. Carl, and his team, defend a range of personal injury claims from high value seven figure sum catastrophic claims to smaller claims with either a strategic importance to set precedent for other claims or where there is a high risk of reputational damage to the client. He is an expert in group litigation and has been involved in many of the most high profile group actions in the UK. He has experience of product liability in the consumer and industrial sectors. He exclusively advises defendants in litigation. Carl has experience of mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution as well as litigation in the High Court and Appellant courts in England and Wales.
Carl also defends corporates and their directors and other professionals in criminal investigations. He is familiar with providing risk evaluation, dealing with incidents, representing clients in their dealings with the HSE and representation at PACE interviews with the enforcing authorities and in conducting inquests and proceedings before criminal tribunals.
- Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) on defending a group action involving claims against the former British Coal Corporation arising out of alleged injuries to the knee by former mineworkers (estimated value £4bn).
- BEIS/Coal Products Limited on claims for respiratory illness and cancers arising at various manufacturing plants across the UK. The case involves over 350 former workers and their families.
- A major mining corporation on defending accident claims, including five fatalities.
- Advising a number of international companies (commercial, infrastructure and financial services) on asbestos related disease claims arising out of exposure in the United Kingdom and abroad.
- A major US corporation on industrial injuries and health and safety issues arising out of various industrial plants (power plants, aviation, plant and equipment hire and logistics and chemicals/plastics) operating in the United Kingdom.
- Defending an international financial institution in claims relating to psychological injury and occupational stress.
- Acting for large manufacturing clients on defending claims arising from the production of aggregates, minerals and the manufacture of associated products.
- 1977 – B.A (Hons) Nottingham Trent