78 Cannon Street
Darren is a Partner in our Funds and Indirect Real Assets team. He is qualified in Australia and England, and has been practising law in London since 1999.
Darren has acted on a large and varied number of real assets transactions, often with an international element. He now focuses on structuring transactions through indirect vehicles such as companies, limited partnerships, unit trusts and offshore vehicles. He advises on UK and international fund establishments, joint ventures, corporatised asset sales and acquisitions and also advises investors looking to invest in UK, pan-European and global funds.
- Aviva Investors on the establishment of their REaLM series of funds focusing on commercial assets, ground rents, social housing and infrastructure.
- Cromwell (VALAD) on the joint venture and sale of UK assets to their new joint venture partner.
- Tristan Capital Partners on the establishment of their third and fourth pan-European core/core plus funds Curzon Capital Partners III and IV.
- Tristan Capital Partners on the establishment of Tristan Capital Partner's third and fourth pan-European opportunity funds European Property Investors Special Opportunities III and IV.
- Goodman on the establishment of their joint venture with a US entity and acquisition of UK, French and German logistic assets and ultimate sale to their joint venture partner.
- LaSalle on the establishment of their UK Private Rented Sector fund and East India Dock club.
- Lendlease on the establishment of 2 Jersey unit trusts to hold assets at Stratford's International Quarter and their sale to a UK pension fund and German entity.
- Mansford on the establishment of Mansford Opportunity Fund V as well as their residential and core and income funds.
- Melford on Melford Special Situations II LP.
- Queensgate on the establishment of Queensgate Investments Fund II LP as well as various co-investment vehicles.
- Savills on establishment of their Prime London Residential Development Funds I and II.
- Patrizia AG on the establishment of Rockspring's second UK Value Add Fund and TransEuropean VI, their sixth pan-European value add fund.
- on their open-ended PanEuropean fund.
- Patrizia AG on their tripartite joint venture and corporate acquisition of a German portfolio.
- UBS on the joint venture and establishment of the UBS Participating Real Estate Mortgage Fund.
- 1992 – Bachelor of Commerce (Honours Class IIA), University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- 1994 – Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Darren is a member of the INREV (European Association for Investors in Non-listed Real Estate Vehicles) and AREF (Association of Real Estate Funds) Training and Education Committees.
- CMS Focusing on Funds - GDPR May 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds - Double trouble: Luxembourg and French double tax treaty June 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Tougher tax rules for German real estate July 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Responsibility and sustainability matters (ESG) September 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Changes for overseas owners of UK real estate October 2018
- He has published articles on remedies in joint ventures, fund restructuring and how ignoring climate change could impair the value of your investment.
- He regularly speaks on the legal aspects of investing indirectly into real estate for INREV and the IPF (Investment Property Forum).