20 Castle Terrace
Graeme MacLeod is a partner in our Disputes Team in CMS Edinburgh, which is recognised as a market leader in Scotland. He specialises in commercial litigation and professional negligence claims, and advises banks, corporates, public bodies, and insurers about a variety of disputes across both fields.
A lawyer with the firm since 2002, Graeme acts for clients in high value commercial disputes in Scotland's Court of Session and Sheriff Courts, as well as in alternative dispute resolution processes such as mediation and arbitration. He is well regarded for his expertise in banking, regulatory, commercial contract and fraud-related matters, and for his knowledge of insolvency litigation. His wide-ranging practice encompasses claims ranging from judicial review of regulatory bodies to intellectual property infringement and from international asset recovery to defamation.
His work in the professional indemnity sphere involves the defence of claims for professionals and their insurers across a broad spectrum of both traditional and emerging professions. He is particularly recognised for his expertise in claims against solicitors.
- GBP 12m claim for breach of contract and negligence arising from an alleged customer fraud for a major Scottish bank.
- Multi-million pound damages claim for fraud for listed offshore services company.
- Negligence claim and process improvements arising from failures under a key IT outsourcing contract for a major international bank.
- Disciplinary proceedings by SPL and SFA relating to player registration issues for Scottish Premier League football club.
- Comprehensive review of disciplinary procedures for The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland.
- Substantial claim against former directors for misappropriation of assets and wrongful trading for administrators of an insolvent retail company.
- GBP 3m contractual claim for charges arising from disposal of waste to landfill against waste services company.
- GBP 17m claim against surveyors arising from allegedly negligent valuation of a hotel for a major bank.
- Panel Solicitor for insurers and solicitors under Law Society of Scotland Master Policy, defending claims against solicitors with a particular focus on complex and/or high value claims.
- 2002 – Law, Dip LP, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh
- 2001 - Law, LLB (Ord) (with Distinction), University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh
- 1999 - BA (Hons) (First Class), Worcester College, Oxford