78 Cannon Street
Jim Hillan is a tax partner based in the CMS London office.
He is a solicitor with 25 years’ experience advising on the UK and international tax implications of corporate and commercial transactions. He has a particular specialism in real estate and funds and has advised on the structuring of listed and private real estate funds, joint ventures and other complex real estate transactions. He is also a chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser.
- Kames Capital on the structuring of their property alternative investment fund (PAIF).
- Scottish Widows Investment Partnership (now Aberdeen Asset Management) on the set-up of their approved property unit trust (APUT).
- The Scottish Retail Property Limited Partnership (a Land Securities/British Land joint venture) on its disposal of Aberdeen's Bon Accord and St Nicholas shopping centres.
- UK retail bank in relation to the sale of a private banking subsidiary.
- UK retail bank on the VAT implications for certain business process outsourcing transactions, arising from the European Court of Justice decision in Axa Denplan.
- Major UK non-life insurer on the tax aspects of the hive-down of certain properties from their former parent banking group.
- 1998 - Diploma Legal Practice, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- 1987 - LLB (Hons), University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Scotland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
- Chartered Institute of Taxation