78 Cannon Street
John Armstrong is a partner in the Technology Team at CMS UK. His practice focuses on IT and outsourcing transactions in the technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) sectors and on complex data protection matters which often have a cross-border element. John also regularly advises high profile international clients in relation to e-commerce, distance selling and cloud computing.
With over 30 years’ legal experience, John is an expert on IT, telecommunication, data protection, intellectual property, sales and distribution law. He has during this time advised clients across a range of sectors, including the TMT, consumer products and financial services sectors, on the development of their businesses through strategic commercial arrangements and has vast experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, including licences, joint ventures and partnering agreements.
- on its cloud computing solutions and customer offering as well as generally on its e-commerce activities including online launch, sales and promotion of goods and services.
- BG Group on the renegotiation of a multi-million pound global application development and maintenance outsourcing and its global IT consultancy MSA.
- BP on the outsourcing of its global HR services, employee flexible benefits scheme and various multi-million pound IS procurements.
- National Grid in relation to three multi-million pound telecommunications outsourcings, sourcing of logistics and sourcing of other business critical functions.
- Royal Mail Group on the outsourcing of document management services, FM services for its entire estate of properties, HR and recruitment services, health services, IT services and vehicle related services.
- UK Government (DTI, Companies Registry, Home Office) on the development of new systems and the provision of IS, IT and voice telephony services.
- A financial institution on their entire suite of commercial documentation for all financial services and their various procedures across all product lines for providing fair processing notices and obtaining consents and otherwise to ensure fair processing. John also advised on the strategy for ensuring data protection compliance in relation to all dealings with individuals including in relation to their Data Protection notifications.