78 Cannon Street
Karen covers all areas of corporate disputes, particularly those with an international law and cross border emphasis. Her experience includes advising on matters of sovereign immunity, freezing injunctions, the enforcement of foreign judgments, and obtaining evidence for use in overseas proceedings, complex fraud and contractual disputes, defamation, confidentiality and privacy disputes.
Karen has represented various sovereign states and their governmental agencies, international organisations and other entities in relation to public international law matters in particular regarding their unique immunities and privileges. She leads the public international law practice group.
- United States of America – acting on its behalf in its successful assertion of state immunity in the House of Lords, Holland v Lampen-Wolfe  1 WLR1573.
- US Secretary of State for Health – acting on his behalf in obtaining one of the first orders of its kind for disclosure by a third party under CPR5.4C(2) for the provision of various medical reports from the UK MMR litigation for use in the US MMR autism group litigation, Sayers & Ors v Smithkline Beecham Plc & Ors  EWHC 1346(QB).
- Costco Wholesale – acting on its behalf in respect of the construction of certain NHS Ophthalmic Regulations in the matter of Costco Wholesale UK Ltd v Milton Keynes Primary Care Trust  ALL ER (D) 265.
- SEC – acting on its behalf in its successful application for the continuance of a freezing injunction unanimously upheld by the Court of Appeal, in what is believed to be the first decision of its kind in granting the order to a foreign claimant without the requirement for a cross undertaking, United States Securities and Exchange Commission v Manterfield  ALL ER (D) 218.
- SEC – acting on its behalf in the successful grant of a freezing injunction in relation to Sir Allen Stanford, and various Stanford companies’ assets in the UK United States Securities and Exchange Commission v Stanford International Bank Limited and Others .
- Acting on behalf of the Liquidators of KSF (IOM) Limited in Kaupthing Singer and Friedlander Ltd  EWHC 740 (Ch).
- Acting on behalf of the Liquidators of KSF (IOM) Limited in Brazzill & Ors v Willoughby & Ors Court of Appeal  EWCA Civ 561
- United States of America – acting on its behalf in relation to whether it is bound to consult with its local civilian employees about redundancies before taking the decision to close a military base as a result of strategic policy re-alignment decisions, and how domestic statutes should be interpreted to give effect to customary international law, United States of America v Nolan  Supreme Court.
- 1986 – Law LLB (Hons) –First Class – Leicester University
- 1987 – Law Society Finals – First Class – Chester Law School
- 1987 – City of London Solicitors Company Alfred Syrett Award
- Presentation / seminar at the UK Supreme Court in December 2015