1 South Quay
Lukas Rootman is a Partner in our Environment and Health & Safety team with particular expertise in regulatory matters covering incidents and advisory work. He has extensive advocacy experience and has represented a variety of clients, including leading companies and local authorities in relation to the full spectrum of regulatory matters.
Lukas is well regarded by the legal directories, recognising him as “a strong contentious lawyer, with a busy national practice that covers contraventions of environmental permits”. They also comment on his “commercial awareness, impressive knowledge and street fighting defence work”.
- A mining client on HSE investigation and representing client in PACE interview following a fatality in a deep mine resulting from an employee being exposed to an oxygen deficient atmosphere. A notable aspect of this case is that the HSE investigation involves 12 individuals in addition to the company. Advising on coroner’s inquest.
- A mining client on HSE investigation following a fatality involving an employee falling from a haulage system which he was riding on. Advising on coroner’s inquest.
- A mining client on HSE investigation following a fatality involving a rock fall resulting from a roadway collapsing. Advising on coroner’s inquest.
- A construction company on Environment Agency investigation in relation to the client’s duty of care under the Environmental Protection Act following the disposal of waste in a disused quarry.
- A client on Environment Agency investigation into the breach of a discharge consent at one of their quarries.
- A client on Environment Agency investigation into the breach of a water abstraction licence.
- A client on Environment Agency prosecution following a breach of the packaging material regulations.
- A client on HSE investigation following fatal injury to a member of public falling into. unguarded excavation. Individuals prosecuted, but company not charged.
- A property developer on water pollution incident following failure of underground diesel storage tank.
- A chemical company on HSE prosecution for breaching COMAH regulations.
- A management team at oil refinery on joint HSE and Environment Agency investigation following explosion.
- A chemical company on Environment Agency prosecution following water pollution incident.
- A logistics company following fatal accident to a contractor at a distribution centre.
- Defending company in joint prosecution brought by the EA and HSE following the mixing of incompatible wastes at a hazardous waste facility.
- Defending company in respect of a fatal accident involving a refuse collection vehicle.
- Defending company following fall from height at waste to energy facility.
- A company on an appeal against noise abatement notice.
- A company on an appeal against prohibition notice.
- A company on an appeal against improvement notice.
- A company on health and safety policies.
- 1999 – B. Proc., University of Johannesburg Johannesburg
- Lukas is a member of the CBI Health and Safety Panel and the Environmental Services Association (ESA).