78 Cannon Street
Mark Grant is a partner in the Pensions group. He joined the firm as a trainee in 1990 and specialised in pensions law since qualifying in 1992. He became a partner in 1999 and is now the Head of our Pensions Ombudsman Unit.
Mark is the author of The Pensions Ombudsman: Powers, Procedures and Decisions (Sweet & Maxwell). He was a member of the APL's Pensions Litigation Committee for 10 years and is now on the APL’s Main Committee. He chairs the Pensions Ombudsman Liaison Group.
He was assistant editor of the Occupational Pensions Law Reports and co-editor of the Journal of the International Pensions and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA) for several years and an IPEBLA Steering Committee Member.
- A wide variety of clients on all aspects of pensions law (contentious and non-contentious) and his clients include the trustees of the pension schemes of Heineken, Weetabix, Taylor Wimpey Plc and Northrop Grumman.
- The trustees of Monarch Airlines pension scheme when entering into a Regulated Apportionment Arrangement to facilitate a rescue of the business.
- Numerous court cases concerning pensions issues including:
- Coloroll (1993) European Court of Justice and High Court – sex equality issues – for trustees
- Ferranti Pension Scheme (1999) High Court – disputed pension entitlements – for trustees
- Stone v Pensions Ombudsman (2000) High Court – alleged investment duty breaches – for trustee
- Moores (Wallisdown) v Pensions Ombudsman (2001) High Court – conversion of scheme from DB to DC – for scheme administrator
- Britannic Asset Management (2002) Court of Appeal and High Court – Pensions Ombudsman’s jurisdiction – for Britannic
- Petrochem pension scheme (2005) High Court – compromise of a deficit claim – for trustees
- Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (2005) High Court – trustee’s unilateral amendment power and scope to pursue employers for deficit – for around 30 employers
- Royal Mail Pensions Trustees v Gosling (2007) High Court – part-timer’s pension rights – for trustees
- BNP Paribas scheme (2008) High Court – rectification of pension increase rule – for scheme pensioners
- Pilots National Pension Fund (2010) – trustee’s unilateral amendment power, deficit legislation–for scheme pensioners.
1990 - Solicitors finals, University of Northumbria, Newcastle Upon Tyne
1989 – Law Degree, Hertford College, Oxford University, Oxford
Main Committee member, Association of Pension Lawyers (APL)
Chair of Pensions Ombudsman Liaison Group
Member and past Steering Committee member, International Pensions and Employee Benefit Lawyers Association (IPEBLA)