78 Cannon Street
Melanie Lane is a partner in the Employment Team at CMS London. Melanie has 20 years' experience of advising employers on the full range of employment law issues, from day-to-day employment documentation and workplace matters to complex employment litigation, business reorganisations and outsourcings. Her clients include a number of household names across a variety of industries, with a particular focus on the consumer products/retail, leisure, life sciences, media and technology sectors.
She has advised on a number of ground-breaking and high profile whistleblowing claims, including one of the most widely reported such cases in 2011, in which she acted for a fund management operation in the Employment Tribunal, the Employment Appeal Tribunal (Evershed v New Star Asset Management [UKEAT/0249/09]) and the Court of Appeal (Evershed v New Star Asset Management  EWCA Civ 870).
Melanie also advises partnerships and professional practices on a wide range of issues concerning their partners and employees, including the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants, compulsory retirement/dismissals and high-value discrimination claims.
Melanie is an expert on the employment aspects of global outsourcing arrangements, and is a key member of the firm's award winning Sourcing team.
- Unilever on the employment aspects of its first truly global outsource of its service desk and deskside support arrangements.
- A major global data company on the implementation of policies worldwide.
- Ministry of Sound on the employment law implications of the sale of its iconic label Ministry of Sound Recordings to Sony Music UK.
- A global healthcare giant on the TUPE aspects of its creation of a new roster of advertising and marketing service providers.
- A celebrity chef's commercial organisation on the restructuring of its management team.
- BBC Worldwide on the TUPE implications of a wide range of outsourcing projects.
- The Hawksmoor restaurant group on its corporate acquisitions as well as day to day employment matters.
- BP on the TUPE aspects of the implementation of its new IT operating model (shortlisted for the EOA Awards' Innovation in Pan–European Outsourcing).
- An American pharmaceutical giant on the closures of two of its UK sites.
- A top international accountancy and business advisory firm on a wide range of employee relations and commercial matters.
1999 – Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales
1997 – LPC, College of Law, Guildford
1996 – GDL, College of Law, Guildford
1995 – BA (Politics and Modern History), Manchester University, Manchester
Employment Lawyers Association
European Employment Lawyers Association
Association of Partnership Practitioners
Global Sourcing Association UK
International Bar Association
December 2016: Retail Week – Employment Law and the gig economy: https://www.retail-week.com/7016936.article
December 2016: The Times Raconteur (as part of its special report into the future of work): Problems with the growing gig economy http://raconteur.net/business/problems-with-the-growing-gig-economy
September 2016: Employee Benefits magazine/website – How to create an effective Christmas incentive strategy https://www.employeebenefits.co.uk/issues/september-2016-2/how-to-create-an-effective-christmas-incentive-strategy/
May 2016: Employmentsolicitor.com: Employment status continues to deliver problems in today's flexible economy http://www.employmentsolicitor.com/employment-status-continues-deliver-problems-todays-flexible-economy/
May 2015: ELA Briefing – Status update – employee, worker or self-employed? https://www.elaweb.org.uk/resources/ela-briefing/status-update-employee-worker-or-self-employed
February 2015: Employment Law Journal – Protecting an employer's good name (hard copy only)
April 2017 - Legal breakfasts: Women in Film & TV
April 2017 - Westminster Media Forum: Priorities for the UK creative industries workforce post Brexit
September 2016 - "Where will my nanny/plumber come from? Middle and low skilled worker shortages in light of the migrant currents in the EU and elsewhere" - International Bar Association Annual Conference, Washington D.C.
July 2016 - "TUPE and outsourcing" - LexisNexis webinar
January 2015 - "Addressing insider threat in the workplace" – Association of Partnership Practitioners seminar