Head of Environment
Head of Environment
78 Cannon Street
Paul Sheridan is a partner and Head of our Environment law practice which is consistently recognised as a Tier 1 practice (e.g. 2016 Legal 500). Paul also specialises in cleantech.
He advises numerous national and international commercial, construction, finance industrial, manufacturing, real estate, technology, utility, and waste management clients on a wide range of non-contentious and contentious environment matters, including several test cases. He is particularly involved with the auto, cleantech, chemicals, energy, real estate, retail, transport and waste management sectors.
Paul has 23 years of experience in this field. He is consistently recognised by his peers, Chambers, Legal 500 and Who’s Who as a leading practitioner in this area. He was placed, globally, in the top 25 of environment lawyers by Who’s Who of Environment Lawyers (2011).
- Permitting and compliance issues for various industrial, energy and waste management clients in terms of emissions, accidents and pollution events. Work includes permitting applications, variations, appeals and surrenders.
- Several large industrial and chemicals clients on decommissioning, remediation and sale of for more sensitive uses of former manufacturing facilities, most usually with comprehensive risk transfer mechanisms. Also advising on contaminated land liabilities generally and within the context of transactions and contaminated land disputes under statutory law and contractual indemnities.
- All aspects of non-contentious and contentious matters from the perspectives of large waste management companies and waste producers. The work includes several regulatory/criminal law actins and civil law disputes.
- Industrial, energy, construction, chemicals and waste management clients on alleged environment nuisances such as odour, noise, pests and dust, including several group litigation actions.
- A waste management client on the successful defence (2014) in a prosecution of what was probably the most significant inland waters pollution incident for the last 15 years. Advised a water utility on a major project to supply water and sewage facilities and advised an infrastructure JV on bidding for flood defence and alleviation works. Advising generally on the Water Framework Directive. Advising a major Ports operator on protected sites and flooding risks.
- The impacts of the developing law and policy on carbon and energy efficiency of products, buildings and transport, including recent and potential laws on public procurement and vehicle emission regulations, and far reaching proposals set out in the EU’s transport white paper. Advising a bidder on a proposed new carbon capture facility in Scotland and on energy performance of buildings, CRC, ESOS, eco-design, ELV, packaging laws, REACH, ROHS, WEEE etc.
- Insured and insurer clients in relation to settling bespoke environmental impairment liability insurance policies, including first and third party risks and on and off site risks.
- Solicitor England and Wales
- Solicitor Australia
- 1982 - LLB (Hons), Southampton