24 Upper Brook Street
78 Cannon Street
Sam Dames is a partner specialising in Tax. She has been with the firm since 1996.
She is primarily involved in the tax aspects of UK and cross-border structured finance, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate tax including stamp taxes and VAT.
Sam has advised on a wide range of tax issues across a variety of industry sectors, in particular advising clients in the Financial Services, Hotels & Leisure, Infrastructure & Project Finance, Lifesciences and Technology, Media & Telecommunications sectors. Sam advises on a wide variety of transactions, from the innovation required in order to implement structured finance transactions to the skills needed to marshal due diligence exercises across several jurisdictions on global acquisitions.
Sam is a member of the tax committee of the Quoted Companies Alliance, which focuses on issues for smaller quoted companies. Sam is also a member of the PPP Forum and The Infrastructure Forum tax groups and the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry tax committee.
- Diageo on the UK aspects of the sale of its major wine interests in an agreement with Treasury Wine Estates relating to the US based Chateau and Estate Wines and the UK based Percy Fox businesses for a consideration of USD 552m.
- Viatel on the sale of its infrastructure and non-Irish enterprise businesses to Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. for approximately EUR 95m involving multiple sellers and a target group covering Ireland, Belgium, UK, France, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland.
- BG on a GBP 562m deal for the disposal of its CATS pipeline business to Antin Infrastructure Partners.
- MetLife, Inc. on the tax aspects of the disposal of MetLife Assurance Limited (a leading specialist bulk annuity pension provider, with approximately GBP 3bn in assets under management) to Rothesay Life Limited.
- Unipapel on the acquisition of the Spicers group of companies from DS Smith, the partition of the continental European and UK/Irish businesses and simultaneous sale of the UK/Irish businesses to private equity fund Better Capital.
- LRG on the sale of a portfolio of 18 full-service UK hotels to Cerberus Capital Management via a combination of asset and share sales and the sale of a portfolio of 21 UK hotels to Kew Green Hotels.
- Aviva Investors on a groundbreaking transaction to provide GBP £36m of funding for a new energy innovation centre for Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust at Addenbrooke's Hospital.
- A local Education Partnership (the Thames Partnership for Learning Regeneration) in relation to the innovative Barking and Dagenham social housing project, which won the award for "Best Alternative Deal Structure" at the Partnerships Awards 2013.
- Various financial institutions on tax efficient methods of dealing with outstanding debt on the refinancing or insolvency of debtors and advising on the tax implications of various borrower restructuring arrangements.
- Various financial institutions in relation to various (UK and multi-jurisdiction) leasing and structured finance transactions involving shares, securities, real estate, aircraft, ships and films
1995 - BA (Hons) Law, Cambridge University, Cambridge
1996 - LPC, College of Law, York
1999 - MA, Cambridge University, Cambridge
Member, the tax committee of the Quoted Companies Alliance.
Member, the PPP Forum tax group.
Member, The Infrastructure Forum tax group.