Dr Sam De Silva
Dr Sam De Silva
78 Cannon Street
Dr Sam De Silva is a Partner in the IT and Outsourcing team. Sam specialises in strategic and complex IT and telecommunication projects including all forms of cloud computing (SaaS, PaaS and IaaS), outsourcing (IT, BPO and off-shoring), system development and supply, system integration, software licensing, support and service agreements, acting for both users and suppliers. Sam also regularly advises on data protection, privacy, cyber-security and PCI DSS issues.
Sam is deeply immersed in the technology sector and at the forefront of related policy issues, representing the UK on a number of international committees. This market intelligence supports clients in their strategic planning and future proofing of projects. Sam is also heavily involved with procurement best practice, having just completed a 4 year term on the Global Board of Trustees at the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS).
Sam has written and spoken extensively on IT and outsourcing and is regularly called upon by the industry as a thought leader in these areas. He has been interviewed in the press, on the radio, and webinars and on television (including BBC Click and Channel 4 Dispatches). Sam is one of very few solicitors to be a Fellow of CIPS (FCIPS), Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS) and a Chartered IT Professional (CITP). Sam has post-graduate degrees in information technology and business administration, so he is well aware of the commercial, business and technical issues facing both users and suppliers of technology. Sam has had in-house industry legal experience, having been seconded to Accenture UK for 9 months as a Senior Legal Counsel.
Sam has been named in Who’s Who Legal: Telecommunications, Media & Technology (TMT) 2017 as one of the world's leading TMT lawyers. As well as being an English qualified solicitor, Sam is also a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand and a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia, and has been involved in some of the most cutting-edge IT and outsourcing projects in those jurisdictions.
- Global pharmaceutical company on a pan-European framework agreement for the procurement of IT products and services.
- Fujifilm UK in the technology supply arrangement for a major UK retailer's digital photography refresh and change programme.
- MossBros Plc on the procurement of point-of-sale and back office technologies with Argility.
- International Financial Data Services in its outsourcing arrangements where it will provide global transfer agency and client administration services to a global fund manager.
- Mastek in its development contract for a conveyancing portal with the Law Society.
- DX Group in its procurement of an ERP system for its business carrier operations from multiple vendors.
- HSA Global UK in its bid to a NHS Clinical Commissioning Group for the provision of a Care Plan Management System.
- British Friendly Society in its procurement of a policy administration solution supplied by Percana.
- Eckoh Plc on its IVR services contract with Vue Cinemas.
- Formula 1 racing team in its procurement of an ERP system.
- 2004 – D.B.A., CCU, USA
- 2000 – M.B.S (Distinction), Massey University, New Zealand
- 1997 – LL.B., The University of Waikato, New Zealand
- 1997 – B.M.S., (1st class Hons), The University of Waikato, New Zealand
- UK solicitor representative on the EU Commission’s Expert Group on Cloud Computing Contracts
- UK solicitor representative on the IT Law Committee of the Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE)
- Co-convenor (with China) of ISO Working Group for Enterprise Legal Risk Management
- Vice Chair of the Council of the British Computer Society
- International Advisory Board Member of Cyber Rescue Alliance
- Immediate past Chair of Law Society's Technology and Law Reference Group
- Committee member of the EU Committee of the Law Society
- Member of Technical IT Committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
- Member of Privacy & Policy Expert Group of the Biometrics Institute
- Speaker, Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, 2014 - 2016
- Speaker, CLT IT and Outsourcing Course, 2012 - 2017
- Speaker, eWorld Purchasing & Supply, 2012 - 2017
- Speaker, British Computer Society Legal Day, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017
- Speaker, UCL IP Transactions Course, 2013 - 2017
- Speaker, CIPS Annual Conference, 2011 - 2015
- Speaker, iTech Law, 2012, 2013 and 2016