Senior Counsel and Head of Tax
Senior Counsel and Head of Tax
Károlyi utca 12
Eszter Kálmán is Senior Counsel and Head of the Tax Practice at CMS Budapest, with 20 years’ experience in tax law.
Eszter has extensive experience in VAT issues and tax driven corporate restructurings. She has been advising major domestic and international clients on various tax issues including mergers and acquisitions, tax structuring projects, VAT disputes, transfer pricing, state subsidy issues as well as day-to-day compliance issues. She represents clients in several tax litigation cases, especially in the field of VAT.
She is an active member of the European VAT Club, an association of independent VAT specialists. In addition to being a member of the Budapest Bar, Eszter is also a registered tax advisor.
Eszter is recommended by Chambers and Legal 500 in the Tax category.
- AXA Bank on the VAT structuring of the sale of its Hungarian banking operations to OTP Bank.
- Apollo Tyres on the construction of a greenfield manufacturing plant in Hungary, including legal, tax and state subsidy advice regarding the acquisition of the selected property, cash incentives, and incorporation of a subsidiary as well as its ongoing operation. Successfully negotiated a high-value incentive agreement for the client with the Hungarian Investment and Trade Agency within an extremely short timeframe.
- Wizzair on tax implications of leasing various aircrafts.
- Credigen Bank (subsidiary of Credit Agricole) on the sale of its performing loan portfolio. Tax involvement was mainly focused on the VAT aspects of the portfolio transfer, since the VAT treatment of portfolio transfers is quite controversial on the basis of EU case law as well as Hungarian legislation.
- A major international telecommunication company with respect to VAT dispute of EUR 48 m.
- Mota-Engil on the tax structuring of the sale of a major portfolio of development properties.
- DHL Supply Chain in a VAT litigation and won the case before Hungary’s supreme court, called the Curia.
- British American Tobacco on two separate VAT disputes against the Hungarian Tax Authority. As a result of our intervention the Tax Authority accepted BAT’s position and dropped both cases still in the administrative proceedings phase, and litigation was avoided.
- Bricostore Holding S.A.S on the restructuring of its Hungarian operations.
- A major real estate investor on complex tax issues regarding a Hungarian property development. The deal was unique on the Hungarian market due to the involvement of Islamic finance and thus the need to comply with the principles of Sharia law.
- 2018 - Postgraduate degree in Economics, University of Corvinus, Budapest, Hungary
- 1999 - Doctor of Law, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
- Member, Budapest Bar Associations
- Member, The European VAT Club
- Member, IFA
- EKÁER’s grace period has been extended (article in Hungarian) – Napi Gazdaság
- The “Tóth”-case (summary and comments)-Highlights & Insights on European Taxation
- The “Klub OOD” case (summary and comments)-Highlights & Insights on European Taxation
- The “Mecsek Gabona” case (summary and comments)-Highlights & Insights on European Taxation
- The “Pannon-Gép” case (summary and comments)-Highlights & Insights on European Taxation
- The “Commission vs France and Luxembourg cases re e-books” (summary and comments)-Highlights & Insights on European Taxation