Co-ordinator of CEE Competition Practice
Co-ordinator of CEE Competition Practice
Károlyi utca 12
Nóra is a Senior Associate in the Commercial team at CMS Budapest and Co-ordinator of CEE Competition Practice
She specialises in competition law and has over 8 years’ experience in various matters including domestic and cross-border merger clearance, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance cases, drafting and review of distribution agreements, state aid matters as well as comparative advertisement and multiple cases of misleading of consumers.
Nóra Jekkel enters the rankings following significant praise for her "very smart, talented, hands-on and practical" approach to competition mandates. Chambers & Partners, 2016
In addition, Nóra assists clients in the fast and effective solution of competition issues arising during the daily operation. Nóra is recommended by both Legal 500 and Chambers for her work in competition law.
Having advised a wide range of clients, she has gained in-depth knowledge of various industry sectors such as banking, financial services, energy, medical devices and consumer products. Nóra completed a 5-month part-time secondment at Hungary's largest vertically integrated energy company, where she assisted the legal department in the coordination of two consecutive cross-border merger clearance procedures.
Nóra also played an important role in preparing the firm’s flexible, five-module competition compliance program covering dawn raids, compliance in business communication, contacts with competitors, and etc.
- Budapest Bank in the large scale cartel investigation initiated by the Hungarian Competition Office and the respective court review procedure in relation to the fixed-rate final repayments; also accompanied by an internal compliance audit including the review of e-mail correspondences and documents.
- Budapest Bank in a widespread antitrust investigation in connection with the alleged unlawful information-sharing in the framework of a sector-wide banking database in Hungary.
- A major Hungarian vertically integrated energy company on setting up a production joint venture as well as on cross–border acquisitions of fuelling station networks in the CEE region also involving assistance provided within the CMS network.
- Johnson & Johnson on competition and compliance law matters, including review of distribution and cooperation agreements, rebate schemes, advertising materials and regularly holding trainings for the firms’ management and sales staff. Strategic partnership with the client.
- A major international player in the road-construction sector in the follow-on damages litigation relating to the Hungarian Competition Office’s cartel investigation.
- Major player in the agro-chemical (pesticide) industry (Hungarian subsidiary of a multinational conglomerate active in various sectors) in a widespread cartel investigation initiated by the Hungarian Competition Office. The assistance included an internal compliance audit including the review of e-mail correspondences and documents, followed by a series of competition-compliance trainings.
- A family–run German company, active worldwide in the market of window- and door technology, and its Hungarian subsidiary in the cartel investigation by the Hungarian Competition Office finally terminated against the company following our successful advice. Our mandate also included an internal audit with employee interviews and email screening.
- Erste Bank Hungary in the merger clearance process relating to its acquisitions of portfolios from BNP Paribas and Citibank.
- Samsung Electronics on all competition and compliance matters, among others, advise relating to rebate schemes and the application of various discounts; delivering trainings on various competition law topics: dawn raid, pricing, business communication. Strategic partnership with the client.
- A major flight operator in multiple competition control procedures initiated by the Hungarian Competition Office for misleading advertisement and in the following court-review procedures.
2008 – Doctor of Law, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
2008 – French and EU commercial law studies, Université Panthéon-Assas Paris II (Eötvös Loránd University), Budapest
2006 – Legal studies, Université de Rouen, Rouen, France
Member, Budapest Bar Association
- Competition law workshop at CMS Budapest (article in Hungarian), Origo, 2015
- CMS Spring Breakfast Series, “From the vitaminised flour to the road salt” (article in Hungarian), Origo, 2015