All companies, regardless of their type, size, business sector or geographical reach, are directly concerned by competition law, both French and European. In recent years, legislation in this area has become considerably more complex :
- Proliferation of national legislation on mergers & acquisitions and reform of the European Union competition authorities
- Proliferation of proceedings taken against price fixing or abuse of dominant position and a substantial increase in the fines imposed
- Emergence of new regulations and a wealth of jurisprudence in the area of consumer law (advertising, sales promotion, distance selling, etc.).
Our Practice Areas
- Assisting companies involved in proceedings taken by national or European competition authorities (information requests, on-site investigations and searches, notification of complaints)
- Advising the national or European authorities of proposed mergers & acquisitions
- Advice on restrictive practices, particularly in the field of industrial/commercial relationships (supply agreements, commercial co-operation agreements, discriminatory practices)
- Lodging complaints against anti-competitive practices(price fixing and abuse of dominant position)
- Advice on opening up state-owned enterprises to the competitive sector, particularly in industries confronted with deregulation (telecoms, energy, transport, postal services)
- Monitoring our clients' dealings with the European Union institutions (anti-trust, State aid)
- Consumer and retailing law: retailing systems and networks, consumer protection, advertising and sales promotions (special offers, games and competitions, advertising campaigns, space buying)
- An overall understanding of our client's interests in order to provide customised, innovative solutions: we are more than just experts; we also deal with strategic issues after making a global assessment of the client's position and priorities.
- Ability to handle complex matters through multi-lingual lawyers with expertise not only in competition law but also in European or public law.
- Drawing together skills from elsewhere in the firm, whether legal or tax, to provide a truly multi-disciplinary approach.
- Methodological precision : we focus more on anticipating problems ahead of the litigation stage, and we provide support throughout all proceedings taken by or against our clients.