Juan Carlos Escudero
Juan Carlos Escudero
Juan Carlos Escudero has more than 20 years of experience as a lawyer. He became part of CMS Grau in 1993 and was promoted partner in 1998. To date, Juan Carlos is the Managing Partner and the head Partner of the Corporate/M&A and Banking and Finance Areas of CMS Grau. He has also participated in the acquisition and/or merger of various companies of the commercial, industrial and chemical sectors; as well as on the reorganization of several companies of great significance. In addition, Juan Carlos has advised in the structuring of the most important funding that has been made to a private company in Peru by international banks.
Juan Carlos has extensive experience in advising financial institutions and companies on the structuring and granting of loans and/or grants in complex transactions in commercial (retail), industry and financial operations, and in complex processes of securities issuance and securitization of assets and other structured products. Finally, Juan Carlos has had an active participation in large-scale real estate projects leading strategies for the acquisition, purchase, sale, division and separation of assets.
Among the major types of clients that Juan Carlos has advised are investment banks, multilateral companies and development banks (CAF, DEG, FMO), foreign and local financial institutions, investment funds, companies linked to the exploitation of natural resources and extractive activities as well as Retail and Consumption.
Juan Carlos is professor of the Mergers and Acquisitions Law Course of Graduate Studies at the ESAN University (Lima, Perú / 2014 to date) and was professor of the Finance for Lawyers Course at the Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (Lima, Perú / 2005 and 2008).
- Colbún: jointly with international advisers, in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of the company of thermoelectric generation Fenix Power Peru, through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), involving the payment of USD 786 million.
- Estacionamientos Rivera Navarrete: assessment in the design, negotiation and closure of a financing in the form of project finance for the construction of a project of underground parking spaces in one of the main districts of Lima, for the approximate amount of USD 35 million
- Banking International Union formed by the Group Westpac Banking Corp., Banking Group in Australia and New Zealand; and the National Bank of Australia: in the implementation of a syndicated credit line modified and reconstituted with the Austin Group and security over the shares of Austin Engineering Peru with a mortgage exchange, in order to ensure the credit line for the amount of USD 155 MM.
- Empresa Eléctrica Agua Azul, Aluz C&O Perú and Aluz Clean Energy: assessment in the Project Financing of the Hydroelectric Plant "Potrero" in Cajamarca, in the form of project finance, involving a medium-term loan for more than USD 30 MM. The Potrero is a project of renewable energy resources (RER) of hydroelectric generation.
- Falabella Group: advice in the majority of its financings and in the public issuance of corporate bonds and other commercial documents, for a total amount and jointly for more than USD 380 MM.
- Banco Internacional del Perú S.A.A. – Interbank: Advice on the emissions and private placement offerings of asset-backed securities of Colegios Peruanos S.A.C., owner of the trademark "Innova Schools" under which operates more than 30 school educational centers in Peru, for the amount of USD 37.50 million.
- Silver Wheaton: assessment in the acquisition of a percentage of the of gold and silver production of the “Constancia” Project that belong to the Hudbay Group, for the approximate value of USD 650 million.
- Banco Internacional del Perú – INTERBANK: advice in the granting of a financing through a leasing, for the construction of the LA RAMBLA BRASIL Shopping Center, which will be developed by a company of the Brescia Group, with an approximate investment of USD 38 million plus taxes.
- Glencore Xstrata plc: One of the largest global companies dedicated to the diversification of natural resources sold Las Bambas copper project in the amount of USD 7.3 billion to the consortium led by MMG Limited. Considered the largest transaction in the history of Peru.
- ALS Group: advice in the issuance of letters by ALS Group General Partnership and ALS Canada Limited for an amount of USD $ 297 MM, as well as to ALS Limited and its subsidiaries, for the granting of guarantees in this funding.
- 2008 – Diploma in Mergers and Acquisitions (Lima, Perú) – Universidad del Pacífico
- 1997 – Continuing Legal education Program (Washington D.C., EE.UU.) – George Washington University CLP, EE.UU.
- 1996– LLM – Masters in Law (Connecticut, EE.UU.) – University of Connecticut, EE.UU.
- 1992 – Law Degree – Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Lima, Perú)
- Lima Bar Association (CAL)