CMS wins Law Firm of the Year for private equity funds
CMS has been named “Law Firm of the Year” in the fifth edition of the Private Equity Diamond competition organised by the Executive Club and supported by the Polish Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (PSIK). This is the third time CMS has won this prestigious award. The winner is chosen by representatives of private equity and venture capital funds who are members of PSIK.
The scale of the projects that CMS’ corporate team has worked on in recent years is proof of the firm’s strong position in the Polish private equity market. In 2015 CMS’ 30-strong corporate team worked on some of the largest transactions in Poland, including the purchase of PKP Energetyka by CVC and the sale of home.pl by Value4Capital. In the wider CEE region CMS advised on the sale of Good Food by Resource Partners and the sale of Partner in Pet Food by Advent International. CMS’ experience and reputation is also confirmed by the following awards and industry rankings:
- Marek Sawicki – co-managing partner of the Corporate/M&A Department at CMS’s Warsaw office – is ranked in band 1 by Chambers & Partners for PE funds in Poland.
- CMS ranked by the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners as a leading M&A advisor.
- Classified by Chambers & Partners as a leader for M&A advisory services in the CEE region (Band 1).
- Awarded “Pan-European Legal Adviser of the Year” at The Private Equity Awards, hosted by Real Deals
- The sale of Good Food by Resource Partners, which the CMS team advised on, was recognised by Real Deals as “Emerging Europe deal of the year”.
“In view of the current activity of private equity funds, this year may prove to be as successful as last year. Investment funds active in Poland have in their portfolios companies that may be attractive acquisitions for major European or global funds. Many of them may be offered for sale in the next few months or over the next year.” – says Dariusz Greszta, co-head of CMS Corporate/M&A Department in Poland. “Another source of transactions this year will be the stock exchange. Falling valuations and uncertainty about the fate of the Polish capital market means that funds are increasingly considering the possibility of acquiring public companies. Several such processes are already quite advanced, but the funds still have huge resources to invest in Poland and the region. The uncertainty in the regulatory and the political sphere certainly does not help, but at least for now should not significantly undermine M&A activity.” – he added.
The Private Equity Diamonds were presented during the seventh edition of the “Investment Forum & Private Equity Awards Gala” (6th June 2016).