Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Damian Karwala is a qualified legal advisor and a Senior Associate in the IP/TMT Group at CMS. Damian specialises in advising international digital businesses on all aspects of TMT law.
For the last 12 years, Damian has advised clients on data privacy, cybersecurity, IT, internet, e-commerce and digital transformation. His clients include leading mobile operators, internet and e-commerce companies, banks, insurers, software developers and media companies. Over the last few years he has focused on GDPR-related advisory. Recently he participated in due diligence/gap analysis exercises and GDPR awareness trainings for leading insurance and debt collection sector companies.
Damian has authored several academic and specialist publications and practical commentaries relating to data privacy, IT and e-commerce regulations. He also regularly gives presentations on topics related to IT, technology and data protection. He has been recognised by Chambers Europe as an Associate to watch in their TMT – Data Protection legal ranking for the years 2015-2017.
- A leading European debt recovery capital group with offices in over 15 countries - coordinating a General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) implementation programme;
- One of the world’s leading online retailers - on various aspects of the GDPR, including processing HR data, background checks, use of CCTV, etc.;
- A leading global social media provider - in relation to data privacy and providing services by electronic means;
- A major Polish mobile operator - on various aspects of personal data protection and telecommunication laws, including telecommunication secrecy, protection of users’ services, etc.;
- Several financial groups of companies - on various aspects of data protection, including cross-selling strategies, CRM companies, client segmentation, data processing notifications, privacy notices;
- Several Polish software houses that provide IT solutions to, e.g. the aviation and telecommunications industries – in relation to day-to-day legal counselling;
- One of the most innovative Polish online/mobile e-book platforms – in relation to day-to-day legal counselling.
2006 – Jagiellonian University in Cracow, Faculty of Law and Administration;
2004 – Jagiellonian University in Cracow, European Studies;
2004 – Tilburg University, Faculty of Law
District Chamber of Legal Advisors in Warsaw
IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals)