Head of Dispute Resolution, CEE & Poland
Head of Dispute Resolution, CEE & Poland
Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Małgorzata Surdek is the Managing Partner and the Head of Dispute Resolution at CMS Poland. She also coordinates the Dispute Resolution Practice throughout Central and Eastern Europe.
She has many years’ experience in civil, commercial and criminal litigation before state courts, especially in matters relating to consumer protection, intellectual property and unfair competition (including unfair, misleading and comparative advertising), insurance claims, public procurement.
Małgorzata represents clients in disputes with regulators of financial services, pharmaceutical, energy and telecommunications, and advises banks and insurers in class action litigations.
Her experience also includes representing clients in commercial and investment arbitration cases.
- Bank Millennium in a class action initiated by a group of borrowers of mortgage loans denominated in CHF in relation to FX spread clauses.
- Bank BPH in a class action initiated by a group of borrowers of mortgage loans denominated in CHF in relation to FX spread clauses.
- AXA in two class actions concerning unit-linked products and permissibility as well as surrender fees.
- Link4 (an insurance company) in a class action brought by a group of insurance agents against our client, for damages resulting from an alleged act of unfair competition.
- P4 (a Polish mobile operator) in an appeal against the decision of the President of the Competition and Consumer Protection Authority which imposed a fine for alleged involvement in a cartel with three other mobile operators (Orange, T-Mobile and Plus). The alleged cartel is connected with the refusal to buy mobile TV services in the DVB-H standard.
- PKO BP (the biggest Polish retail bank) in its appeal against a fine imposed by the President of the Competition and Consumer Protection Authority for allegedly misleading consumers in an advertising campaign for retail loans offered to consumers.
- Bank BPH in an investigation and proceedings conducted by the President of the UOKiK concerning an infringement of collective consumer interests in areas such as alleged violations of the act on consumer credit (crediting the cost of the loan, method of calculating APR).
- Airbus Group (formerly Eurocopter SAS / EADS Group) in a successful tender run in a competitive dialog formula for the delivery of 23 helicopters and a flight simulator to the Polish Ministry of Health. The work included representing the client in numerous court actions during the process, all of them successfully completed. Value of the contract EUR 140 million.
- A JV company in international ad hoc construction arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules against the Polish Minister of Infrastructure and the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways (GDDKiA) concerning a PPP contract for the construction and operation of the A1 motorway in Poland.
- A business services company in commercial arbitration concerning the supply contract for an automated fare collection system for a Russian city.
2014 - Postgraduate studies in international commercial arbitration, the School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
2002 - Advocate, the Warsaw Bar of Advocates, Warsaw
2000 - Postgraduate studies in European Union law, King’s College, University of London, London, UK
1996 - Master’s degree in Law, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Lublin
1996 - Master’s degree in in Political Science, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Lublin
- Member, Warsaw Bar of Advocates
- Member, MCI Arb, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, FCI Arb, Fellow of Charted Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, The Nominating Committee at the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration
- Member, Arbitral Women Warsaw Bar of Advocates
- Member, ICC Poland Arbitral Women
Is there a need to codify the ethics principles concerning the representatives of parties to international arbitration? Comments based on the IBA Guidelines on the Representation of Parties in International Arbitration, Arbitration Bulletin 2014, No. 21, p. 79-84
- 2015: International Dispute Resolution: Diversity Towards Convergence? organised by the Jagiellonian University and the International Chamber of Commerce, Cracow
- 2015: 7th Bancassurance Congress organised by the Polish Banking Association, Warsaw
- 2015: 5th Warsaw Investment Arbitration Debate, organised by the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw, Warsaw
- a debate on “Third Party Funding in Investment Arbitration” organised by the Warsaw University
- 2015: case study during "Dispute Resolution in M&A / JV Transactions" organised by the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration, Warsaw
- 2014: 6th Bancassurance Congress organised by the Polish Banking Association, Warsaw
- 2014: Cost in Investment Arbitration: Should the Loser Pay All? FDI pree-moot court, the Warsaw University, Warsaw
- 2014: Post-arbitration proceedings: action for annulment of an arbitration award recognition and enforcement of arbitration awards (“Postępowania post-arbitrażowe: skarga o uchylenie orzeczenia sądu polubownego uznawanie i wykonanie orzeczeń arbitrażowych”) organised by the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration, Warsaw
- 2013: Does the system of investment treaty arbitration need revision?, FDI pree-moot court, the Warsaw University, Warsaw
- 2013: Dispute Resolution i M&A Transaction: Tactis, Challenges, Defences organised by the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration, Warsaw
- 2013: Insolvency and arbitration, the Baltic Arbitration Days, Ryga
- 2013: Current trends in international arbitration, Polish - Ukrainian Twin Conference (the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration and the Ukrainian Bar Association), Kiev
- 2012: Third Party Funding in International Arbitration, VIS pre-moot court, the Warsaw University, Warsaw