Luís Miguel Romão
Luís Miguel Romão
Rua Sousa Martins 10
Luís Miguel Romão has been practising Competition and EU law for about 15 years now, with a particular focus in cartels, litigation, abuses of dominant position, merger control, distribution and implementation of antitrust compliance programmes, state aids, structural funds and the four freedoms. Luís practice has covered a wide range of industries, including food and beverages, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, transportation, energy, financial services and telecoms & media.
Before joining CMS RPA, he worked at the EU and Competition Law Department of the law firm PLMJ for about 13 years, under the former first president of the EU General Court and Advocate-General and now currently the Portuguese judge at the ECJ in Luxembourg, Prof. Cruz Vilaça. He was also Lead Lawyer for the Infrastructure and Cities and Healthcare Sectors and Corporate Centres at Siemens Portugal.
- Luís Miguel Romão is a graduate of the Law Faculty of Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa, Portugal, and holds an LLM in European Legal Studies from the University of Bristol, UK, and Post - Graduate Courses in Economics for Competition Law (King’s College, UK) and Air and Space Law (Lisbon University), and has attend the Doctorate in Law Programme of Lisbon University.
- Member of Círculo dos Advogados Portugueses de Direito da Concorrência (Circle of Portuguese Competition Lawyers)
- Member of Associação Portuguesa de Direito Europeu (Portuguese Association of European Law).
- Member of the Portuguese Bar Association since 2000
- “O mercado comum europeu e a instituição de barreiras tarifárias ou compensatórias” (The European Common Market and the Institution of tariff or compensatory barriers), with Diogo Leite Campos, in Revista da Ordem dos Advogados (Portuguese Bar Association Review), January 2006.
- Contributor for the Chapter on “Portugal” in “Premerger Coordination: The Emerging Law of Gun Jumping and Information Exchange”, Section of Antitrust Law of ABA-American Bar Association, 2006.
- “A hipotética operação de aquisição da PGA pela TAP e respectivas consequências jus-concorrenciais” (The Hypothetical Acquisition of PGA by TAP Air Portugal and Relevant Competition Law Consequences), in Estudos de Direito Aéreo (Aviation Law Case Studies), collective book edited by Prof. Jorge Bacelar Gouveia, 2007.
- “Banco Comercial dos Açores v. EC Commission (T-75/03) - Two steps up and one step back?”, in European State Aid Law Quarterly (European State Aid Law Institute, Lexxion Publishers) 3/2010.
- “State aids in Portuguese Case-Law: So Many But So Little or Much Ado About Nothing?”, in European State Aid Law Quarterly, 3/2011.
- “Leniency rules under the new 2012 Portuguese Competition Act – Challenges and opportunities”, with Ricardo Oliveira, in Competition Policy International, Cartel Column, November 2012.
- “Conteúdo e Extensão do Direito à Confidencialidade das comunicações entre Advogado e Cliente à Luz do Direito Comunitário e do Direito Nacional – Partes I e II” (The Extent and Content of the Right to Confidentiality of Communications between Lawyers and Clients under EU and Portuguese Law), with Alexandre Mestre, in Revista de Concorrência e Regulação, Ano VII, No. 25, January-March 2016.
- Luís has published several articles on Portuguese and EU competition law in specialised reviews and lectures in graduate and postgraduate competition law courses.