Head of Banking & Finance
Head of Banking & Finance
Konstantin Baranov is a partner heading the Banking & Finance and Capital Markets team in Moscow. He has significant experience in representing financial institutions and corporates on a wide range of cross-border banking and finance transactions with particular focus on project, real estate, acquisition and trade finance transactions. His other major areas of expertise cover various capital markets, financial regulation, investment, and restructuring issues. Konstantin has been practicing with CMS Russia since 2010.
Before joining CMS Konstantin worked in the banking & finance teams of two other major international law firms in Moscow and worked as in-house lawyer in major Russian and international banks.
Konstantin was chosen by his peers as one of the leading practitioners in Banking & Finance sphere according to Best Lawyers ranking in Russia and has been ranked by Chambers&Partners legal directory since 2013.
Practice head Konstantin Baranov is noted for his managerial skills. "He is a real problem solver and can follow really tight deadlines," say clients. He also advises on regulatory matters.
“… a noted authority in debt capital markets”.
- A German mortgage bank - a USD 647.3m structured syndicated loan to a Russian-based developer to refinance existing debt, and the financing of new projects in Russia, secured by 16 real estate properties
- A German bank – restructuring and repayment of a USD 450m secured property financing of five Marriott and Holiday Inn hotels in Moscow
- An international financial group - a USD 205m financing and refinancing of the Ducat III office building in Moscow
- A Russian subsidiary of a major UK bank - a Rouble framework facility agreement to a major Russian petrochemical company
- A major warehouse developer – acting for the borrower in relation to a refinancing by a major Russian state-owned bank of a USD 100m financing of a warehouse complex in the Moscow region
- A major Russian bank on new USD 33m and 47m loans to major Russian warehouse developer
- A major UK bank - a USD 300m letter of credit facility and a USD 165m guarantee facility to a major Russian telecoms holding company
- A European banking group– advising on an acquisition finance facility to a holding company of a major rail transportation business
- A syndicate of banks, including UniCredit, Raiffeisen and Sberbank - advising on setting up and further restructuring of a USD 250m hybrid pre-export facilities for GeoProMining, a diversified metals resource company operating gold and copper mines in Russia and Armenia
- An international consortium the financing of a USD 2b project in relation to the 15-58 km toll road between Moscow and St. Petersburg to the client from Sberbank and Vnesheconombank (VEB)
- A major German construction group - acting for the borrower group on a EUR 2b syndicated revolving facility arranged by major European financial institutions
- A major UK bank - USD 103.8m uncommitted loan facilities to a Turkish subsidiary of a major Russian oil company, guaranteed by the parent
- Chinese-Russian Joint Venture Company – USD 399m syndicated facility from a major Chinese Bank for the purpose of constructing a 45-megawatt thermal power plant in Russia, with a total investment amount estimated at RUR 20b
- An Austria-based international bank - a USD 60m oil trade finance facility to a Dutch oil trader
- An Austrian bank - a USD 45m limited recourse financing structure of a business centre in St. Petersburg
- A multilateral financial institution - EUR 90m loan to a Russian subsidiary of a Turkish glass producer for the construction and operation of a greenfield float and mirror glass production facility, a USD 35m loan to a joint venture to set up a coal tar distillation facility and a RUR 700m loan to a Russian subsidiary of a French group for the construction and operation of a new air separation unit
- An Austrian bank − advising on several trade finance facilities to a Russian major pulp producer, supported by OeKB, Finnvera and EKN respectively
2010 − BPP University Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
1996 − Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO University), Degree in Law