The Senior Partner - Singapore
The Senior Partner - Singapore
7 Straits View
Marina One East Tower
Steven is The Senior Partner of CMS Singapore. He is an advocate and arbitrator and has more than 21 years' experience in international dispute resolution and arbitration. Steven has represented clients in large and complex international arbitrations before several arbitral institutions, including the ICC, SIAC and LCIA and under the UNCITRAL and SCMA rules. Steven also sits as an arbitrator. He is a member of the ICDR's International Panel of Arbitrators, the SIAC Panel of Arbitrators and the KLRCA Panel of International Arbitrators and sits as an arbitrator for ICC cases. Steven has been appointed an Emergency Arbitrator by the SIAC. Steven is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a member of the council of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. Steven has experience with a broad range of commercial disputes covering private equity investments and M&A, banking, insolvency, hotel management, trading contracts, oil and gas and energy, offshore services and engineering, ship building and construction. In the construction field, he has worked on building and engineering cases, including power, petroleum and petrochemical, road and rail and water management projects. Steven has received recognition as a leading individual in international dispute resolution and arbitration in Singapore, Hong Kong and Asia-wide in the Chambers Global, Chambers Asia and Asia Pacific Legal 500 legal directories where he has been described as "a prominent counsel in arbitration", "very impressive advocate", "is well known as a high quality individual", for his "very extensive arbitration experience, both as counsel and as an arbitrator. He acts frequently on matters in the construction, energy and resources, and shipbuilding sectors, and is respected for his incisive mind and in-depth research", "peers point out his sharp intellect", "a pragmatic international arbitration professional who turns out quality work every time", "all his advice is well considered, well researched and well thought through", "an excellent communicator – he identifies the salient issues to pursue and lets you know what the game plan is. He focuses people's minds on those issues", "inventive", "meticulous, technically minded and excellent at assessing the merits of a client's position", and "well known for energy disputes, and commended as a lawyer who strives to better his understanding of client needs" and also in Benchmark Litigation Asia and Global Arbitration Review.
- SIAC arbitration concerning USD300m investment in aviation infrastructure assets in South Asia
- LMAA arbitration concerning shareholders agreement for oil and gas services joint venture in Africa
- Energy Projects and Regulation
- Multinational chemical company: disputes involving a long-term utilities supply contract with its utilities supplier.
- Independent power producer: claims against its EPC contractor for defects to a 350-megawatt combined-cycle gas turbine power plant.
- Group of independent power producers: disputes arising from power purchase agreements.
- Energy market operator: advice on the establishment of a new electricity market.
- Major power generator in Singapore: advice on issues relating to the provision of electricity to the pool.
- Transmission licensee: claim against generating company for use of system charges.
- Main contractor for a major power plant project in Singapore: advice on all supply contracts and subcontracts for the project.
- Main contractor: arbitration arising out of the construction of a power plant in Singapore.
- Norwegian/Finnish supplier of power boilers: disputes with the Thai owners of a pulp and paper mill and power plant.
- Main contractor for the construction of a transmission cable tunnel: advice on dispute with supplier of defective tunnel boring machine.