CMS advised DP World on the acquisition of a 44% stake in swissterminal Holding AG
A team under the lead of Stefan Brunnschweiler has advised DP World, a Dubai-based global port operator, on the acquisition of a 44% stake in swissterminal Holding AG ("swissterminal"), the leading operator of container terminals in Switzerland, with the Mayer family, who founded the business, remaining the majority shareholder.
Swissterminal, which is headquartered in Frenkendorf close to Basel, operates additional locations in Zurich-Niederglatt, Basel-Birsfelden, Basel-Kleinhueningen and Liestal. The terminals are well connected to Europe’s leading container ports in Rotterdam and Antwerp as well as the ports of La Spezia, Genoa, Ravenna and Trieste south of the Alps.
DP World has grown from its roots in Jebel Ali Port in Dubai to be a leading global trade enabler offering end-to-end logistics to cargo owners through its network of 150 operations in more than 50 countries including ports, economic zones, warehousing, feeder services and inland transport.
Focusing on faster growing markets and key trade routes DP World is developing technology to remove inefficiencies in the supply chain. Through DP World Inland, the company is well established in the German and Belgian inland markets and operates four terminals including trimodal transport systems supporting trade flows to connect to the northern range seaports in Europe.
The swissterminal and DP World partnership is expected to deliver a strong competitive advantage and enhance the industry-leading position of both companies. The cooperation is anticipated to expand the companies’ terminal networks, increase efficiency and grow their service portfolios.
- Stefan Brunnschweiler, LL.M., Lead, Global Head der CMS Corporate/M&A Group
- Christian Gersbach, LL.M., Partner, Employment
- Marquard Christen, LL.M., Partner, Competition
- Mark Cagienard, LL.M., Partner, Tax
- Andrea Relly, Senior Associate, Corporate/M&A
- Samuel Felix Gang, Associate, Corporate/M&A
- Dr Simone Brauchbar Birkhäuser, LL.M., Counsel, IP/IT
- Thomas Zweifel, LL.M., Associate, Real Estate
- Sarah Keller, Associate, Employment
- Hadi Mirzai, Trainee, Competition