Our commitment to the environment
We manage the impact we have as a business on the environment and empower our people to make positive environmental changes.
We have an environmental policy in place, are members of the Legal Sustainability Alliance and demonstrate our commitment to environmental responsibility through carbon emission, paper and waste reduction initiatives as well as an extensive recycling programme.
Spotlight on CMS UK
CMS UK and its international offices are committed to reaching Net Zero by 2025. This commitment is backed by Science Based Targets to ensure independent, scientific verification of our progress.
In addition, we also take part in the CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) disclosure system, that enables companies, cities, states and regions to measure and manage their environmental impacts. We score an impressive “B” for our own activity and “A-” for our work with our supply chain.
The CMS Facilities and Property Team won the Platinum Award at the 2019 Clean City Awards in London. This is the tenth win in 13 years for our firm, and seventh consecutive time CMS has won the Platinum Award.
We are also platinum members of the ‘Plastic Free City’ Initiative for the City of London, pledging to reduce and minimize all ‘single use plastics’ within our business. We have made significant advances in our catering and hospitality areas by eliminating plastic containers and introducing Vegware (plant-based compostable foodservice packaging) as an alternative.
Find out more about our climate commitments here.
We run environmental volunteering opportunities which involve our people and clients across the world. Recent examples include:
- Beach clean-up with the Emirates Marine Environmental Group: CMS Dubai took part in a beach clean-up at the Jebel Ali Marine Sanctuary, home of the Emirates Marine Environmental Group. The CMS team managed to clear over 200kgs of plastic waste from the beach at the clean-up event!
- Environmental volunteering in London: Through our partnership with ELBA, East London Business Alliance, we regularly organise environmental volunteering events for our staff and clients at City Farms, with charity Core Landscapes and Gasworks Dock Partnership in East London.
- Sock Exchange Programme in Budapest: CMS Budapest has joined the Sock Exchange programme, turning socks into useful materials for the furniture and the constructions industries. By producing insulation materials, significant amounts of water can be saved as none is required to produce this geotextile, which is not the case with other materials used for the same purpose. So far, the water consumption of 2,117 families has been saved by the programme.
- Planting trees in Scotland: Volunteers from our Edinburgh office recently teamed up with conservation charity, TCV, to plant 250 trees in the Pentland Hills as part of an ongoing regeneration project.
13. Climate Action
17. Partnerships for the Goals
For full details on our programmes, please take a look at our CR Review.