CMS promotes 10 new disputes partners in UK among 18-strong cohort
CMS UK is pleased to announce the promotion of ten new disputes partners in the firm’s 2020 promotions. Across the firm, CMS has promoted 41 to partner in 15 of its global offices in 2020. Over 40% of these promotions are women, with women making up more than half of new partner promotions in the UK.
Globally, the CMS Disputes Practice has over 300 partners supported by 900 fee-earners with CMS UK having one of the largest groups of contentious lawyers of any City law firm, with disputes lawyers spanning across all the firm’s sectors and UK offices.
The firm’s new UK disputes partners are:
- London-based Louise Boswell advises on disputes and dispute risk areas in a range of sectors. She regularly acts on complex commercial contractual disputes including post-acquisition and on termination, and disputes arising from allegations of fraud, conspiracy, abuse of process, negligence and misrepresentation. She has particular experience on matters that are expedited or require interim injunctive relief. Louise is also a Solicitor Advocate.
- London-based Anna Brackenbury has over 20 years of experience managing global trademark portfolios and related, protection and enforcement. She advises clients on all aspects of portfolio management – from brand clearance and filing strategies, through to global opposition, invalidity and revocation programmes and multi-jurisdiction litigation – across a range of sectors, including; Consumer Products, Technology, Media and Communication, Life Sciences & Healthcare, Energy, Food and Drink, Fashion and the Charities field.
- London-based Mark Breslin advises clients from all sides of the infrastructure, construction and energy sectors, principally in complex construction and technical engineering disputes. He also provides project advisory services to clients on major developments, with a particular focus on large commercial schemes and power projects (biomass, energy-from-waste, solar and wind). Mark has over 10 years of experience in big-ticket litigation, arbitration, adjudication and ADR processes, including mediation.
- London-based Kushal Gandhi specialises in Finance and FinTech dispute resolution. He is an experienced litigation and international arbitration practitioner who is recognised by Legal500 as a Next Generation Partner for international arbitration. He is also an active member of the CMS India Desk. Having worked in the in-house legal team at a major investment bank and at an asset manager (both in London) has aided Kushal’s financial sector expertise. Kushal regularly assists clients to navigate complex issues, including cross-border disputes. He also helps develop risk mitigation strategies and obtain emergency relief from Courts and Tribunals.
- London-based Russell Hoare has over a decade of experience advising across a range of industries on competition law enforcement and litigation, merger control, market investigations, public procurement, state aid and consumer protection law, both at EU and UK level. He has a strong focus on regulatory and competition law aspects of technology, media & telecoms matters, and also specialises in competition law questions arising in consumer products and real estate contexts.
- London-based Dr. Jane Hollywood is a biotech patent attorney with over fifteen years’ experience. She has worked extensively in the fields of transgenic technology, cell therapy and gene editing and handles contentious and non-contentious matters for Life Science companies. Jane also has a particular interest in emerging bioscience sectors, such as the cannabis and sustainable food technology industries, and works with start-up companies in these areas.
- London-based Sarah Innes specialises in advising clients in the life sciences sector. Sarah is experienced in contentious, non-contentious and advisory work in this sector. She has particular expertise in patent litigation and EU and UK medicines law. Sarah has experience working in the in-house legal team of a major pharmaceutical company and is known for providing strategic advice to pharma companies on the full range of exclusivities available for medical products.
- London-based Anna Ralston-Crane advises on a wide range of contentious real estate matters. She acts for a variety of clients, including institutional landlords, developers, asset managers, property funds and hotel chains, and her practice covers the full spectrum of property disputes.
- London-based Tim Sales is a specialist commercial disputes lawyer, with expertise in international commercial work together with regulatory and public law disputes. Tim has gained significant experience across a range of commercial, regulatory and public law disputes, but has a focus on disputes arising from the technology sector and the consumer protection arena, as well as Africa related disputes. He has particular expertise in consumer protection defence work.
- London-based Vanessa Whitman is a partner in the Finance Disputes team. Vanessa qualified with CMS in 2008 and works primarily on contentious matters for banks and insolvency professionals, advising clients on various aspects of contentious banking and insolvency law. She has a growing practice specialising in FinTech and Crypto disputes. Vanessa also has significant experience advising clients how to deal with Serious Fraud Office cases and other fraud related matters, having advised on Britain’s largest mortgage fraud.
Guy Pendell, Head of Disputes at CMS UK, comments: “It is with great pleasure that I welcome and congratulate our new disputes partners. We are delighted to see so many new Disputes partners this year, from across our many areas of sector and practice expertise. Our new partners reflect CMS’s continued investment in its Disputes practice and our commitment to be among the world’s best and busiest firms for litigation, arbitration, investigations and contentious regulatory matters. Each of our new partners has a wealth of knowledge and experience and will play an important role in supporting our clients in difficult times.”
Penelope Warne, The Senior Partner of CMS UK, comments: “We are very pleased to recognise the great talent and skills we have across the firm. We are also delighted by the strong representation of women joining as new partners and are very committed to investing in all our people and empowering all of them to reach their full potential. We would like to congratulate all our new partners on their well-deserved promotions.”