This article was produced by Olswang LLP, which joined with CMS on 1 May 2017.
International technology, media and telecoms law firm Olswang has been named ‘UK Copyright Firm of the Year’ at the 2016 Managing Intellectual Property (IP) Global Awards, which honour law firms behind the most innovative and challenging IP work of the past year. The programme recognises the leading firms from major jurisdictions around the world plus highlights those firms, individuals and companies driving the IP market at an international level.
Olswang International Head of IP and Partner Joel Barry commented: “We are delighted to be named Managing IP’s UK Copyright Firm of the Year. IP is essential to many of our clients, and our lawyers have deep knowledge of the industries for which IP is a part of their DNA, such as tech, software, media and sports. This recognition is acknowledgement of our commitment to our clients, and we look forward to continuing to grow these relationships in the years to come.”
Olswang’s anti-piracy and copyright specialist Joel Vertes added: “Copyright is one of the most complex and constantly changing areas of IP law, especially in its application to new technologies. We are delighted that this award recognises our team’s technical expertise and our leading litigation capability.”
In recent years, Olswang has advised clients including Sky and Microsoft on a range of copyright, trade mark and anti-piracy matters. Other copyright instructions to date include advising:
- Yahoo! in proceedings that went to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) concerning football fixture lists
- Skype in the claim brought by Joltid concerning infringement of copyright in software used in Skype's source code
- The Guardian in relation to extraction by a rival dating website operator for use of its hugely successful Soulmates website
- Microsoft in its UK anti-piracy litigation campaign, and in proceedings brought for copying of source code in the security software of the Xbox
- Stan James in its dispute concerning database rights information about football matches
- ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 in relation to the unauthorised live streaming of its broadcasts by TVCatchup, now referred to the CJEU for the second time
Olswang is recognised as one of a small handful of "go to" firms for IP in Europe and Asia and is consistently ranked highly by leading legal directories Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500. Olswang's international IP practice has grown to more than 100 lawyers, patent and trade mark attorneys, and barristers. This enables the team to advise on the selection, protection, exploitation and enforcement of the full spectrum of IP rights. With IP lawyers and patent and trade mark attorneys in London, Paris, Brussels, Madrid and at the headquarters of the European Patent Office in Munich, Olswang is the only full-service, cross-border IP team in Europe.