78 Cannon Street
Cyrus is a Consultant. He specialises in UK and EU competition law but also advises extensively on related areas of regulation, including in particular public procurement (a key area of his practice), utilities regulation, state aid, and anti-dumping.
Cyrus advises a range of clients in the UK and overseas, particularly in the energy, engineering, IT, sports, automotive, healthcare, consumer products, financial services and retailing sectors.
- He advises extensively on UK and EU merger control and has represented clients – principal parties and complainants – before the UK Competition & Markets Authority and European Commission on several mergers and acquisitions. He has also represented clients in investigations under UK and EU competition law, most recently in the healthcare, chemicals, e-commerce, cement, retailing, consumer goods and energy sectors.
- Recent cases include acting for clients in the CMA's commercial vehicles, construction and groceries cartel investigations. He has also had extensive experience of CMA market investigations.
- He has a strong contentious practice, having advised on many competition-related disputes in the courts, including appeals in the Competition Appeal Tribunal, and numerous cases in the General Court and European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
- Represented HCA International in the CMA's private healthcare market inquiry before the CMA and Competition Appeal Tribunal. This is the first successful challenge against a CMA decision in a market investigation ordering a company to divest part of its business.
- Acted for Mercedes-Benz in relation to the CMA's cartel investigation in the commercial vehicles sector.
- Acted in a number of CMA cartel proceedings, including in the modelling agency, construction and groceries sectors.
- Regularly advising clients in merger control. Recent merger clearances include Kaplan/Osborn Books, HCA/UHSM, and First Reserve/Morrison Utility
- Acted for a major public authority in relation to the European Commission's "phase 2" state aid inquiry into alleged state subsidies granted to a UK port operator.
- Advised a number of financial institutions in relation to competition issues in the provision of payment systems, including the Payment Systems Regulator's report into infrastructure provision.
- Acted for a healthcare provider in a procurement challenge with regard to the NHS procurement of primary healthcare services.
- Advising a government department with regard to the application of UK/EU procurement rules to the creation of a "shared services" entity to provide ancillary support services.
- Advised on EU state aid clearances for the provision of government grants to a consortium of renewable energy companies in offshore wind projects.
- 1981 – MA, Christ Church, Oxford University
- Contributor to "European Union Law of State Aid", Kelyn Bacon QC
- Author of UK Chapter, "European Competition Laws", LexisNexis