Dr Gareth Morgan
Dr Gareth Morgan
78 Cannon Street
Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Gareth has experience in all areas of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property law with a particular focus in the Life Sciences and Healthcare sector, including:
- counselling on multi-jurisdictional patent litigation and enforcement strategies;
- contractual disputes and High Court contract litigation;
- negotiating commercial agreements including licences, technology transfer agreements and collaboration and development agreements;
- advising on contentious medicinal regulatory matters before the English and European courts, including judicial review proceedings;
- providing strategic advice on pharmaceutical product exclusivity, product lifecycle management and associated governmental affairs matters; and
- advising on the interpretation of EU medicines law and EMA/MHRA guidance documentation.
Gareth has acted in many landmark UK IP trials concerning patent entitlement, biotechnology patent validity and infringement, SPCs (including EU Court of Justice references) and the interpretation of IP licences.
In addition, Gareth represents clients in judicial review proceedings concerning medicinal product marketing authorisations. He regularly advises life sciences companies on the judicial review of medicines agency decisions before the EU General Court and Court of Justice in Luxembourg and national Member State courts in the EU. Gareth is English and Irish qualified, and post-Brexit he will operate his regulatory practice from our Polish office.
Gareth has advised pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients on aspects of orphan exclusivity, paediatric exclusivity, Biosimilar applications, centralised procedure applications, CHMP referral procedures, interpretation of the medicines directives and associated guidance. He also provides legal and technical advice concerning CHM appeals, scientific advice meetings and CHMP referrals.
Gareth Morgan is ranked as a leading individual in patent litigation in the UK and also as life sciences regulatory practitioners in the UK.
- Teva on patent and medicines regulatory litigation on a combination antiretroviral product.
- Cargill on its defence of infringement proceedings on a biotechnology plant patent in the English High Court.
- Sandoz on patent and regulatory litigation in relation to a transdermal opioid patch product.
- Abbott Laboratories on its defence of patent infringement proceedings on stent design patents.
- Focus Pharmaceuticals on patent litigation on a transdermal Alzheimer's drug product.
- Teva on SPC litigation and medicines regulatory litigation on a high-selling oncology product.
- A multinational pharmaceutical company on building regulatory exclusivity rights on products in development; coordinating obtaining regulatory exclusivity with SPC protection on the products in question.
- A US-based pharmaceutical company before CHMP at the European Medicines Agency.
- Sandoz on the defence of patent litigation proceedings on a second medical use patent for a pain killer drug.
- A multi-national pharmaceutical company in proceedings before the CJEU on medicines regulatory and SPC matters.
- 1998 – Diploma in Legal Practice – BPP Law School
- 1997 – PGDipl – BPP Law School/Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham
- 1996 – MA DPhil (Oxon) Jesus College Oxford, Oxford
- 1991 – BA (Biochem) Jesus College Oxford, Oxford
- UNION-IP (Member of Life Sciences Commission)
- CIPA (Member of Litigation Commission)
- BIA (Member of IP Advisory Commission)