Head of Health & Safety
Head of Health & Safety
6 Queens Road
78 Cannon Street
Jan Burgess heads the Health and Safety team covering the whole of the UK, is a solicitor-advocate, and has practised as a litigator for over 20 years – the vast majority of that has been dedicated to health and safety.
Jan represents a number of very large multinational client companies, who are mostly engaged in high-risk offshore oil and gas industry, dealing with matters ranging from representing and defending clients in criminal health and safety prosecutions, (including corporate manslaughter investigations), defending personal injury claims arising out of accidents at work, representing companies at Coroners' Inquests and Fatal Accident Inquiries, appealing enforcement notices, appeals to the Privy Council, advising directors of their duties in health and safety matters and generally assisting companies proactively in developing health and safety policies, dealing with the authorities and developing procedures on health and safety.
Many of her cases have been very high profile, and matters of grave importance to her clients. A number of her cases have resulted in changes to this dynamic area of law. Recently she has added offshore environmental law to her focus areas and regularly advises and defends clients in relation to offshore environmental matters.
Her team is available 24/7 to support client needs and operate a “hotline” for crisis response (0333 20 21 010). The team is able to give immediate advice when a crisis occurs and has been trained in root cause analysis to assist clients in their incident investigation. She is also an auditor under the ISO 18001 scheme and trained in trial advocacy under the North American Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- A major multinational oil company successfully in relation to offshore oil pollution incident.
- A major construction consortium at Coroner’s Inquest in multiple fatality.
- A major building and construction materials company at Coroner’s Inquest.
- A major oil operator at Fatal Accident Inquiry following diving fatality.
- A major oil operator during police and HSE investigations into offshore fatality.
- Numerous offshore operators on the impact of the European Offshore Safety Directive.
- A renewable company in relation to windfarm fatality.
- A major pharmaceutical company in relation to investigation into asbestos on premises.
- Extensive global legal comparison for major charity in relation to the law on provision of first aid.
- Solicitor Advocate. Qualified to practice in both England & Wales and in Scotland.
- BA in French and Business Studies, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
- LLB with distinction, University of Aberdeen.