78 Cannon Street
Mike Munro is a partner in our Financial Services and Products team, specialising in transactional (re)insurance and alternative risk transfer.
He works with a diverse range of financial institution clients (including major (re)insurers, investment banks and captives) involved in domestic and international risk transfer markets, typically on matters at the interface between the insurance and capital markets.
Mike's expertise encompasses both non-life and life risks, with particular experience of pensions and annuity de-risking transactions (including longevity swaps in both derivative and (re)insurance form) and associated collateral and credit support structures.
With nearly 25 years’ experience of the insurance and wider financial services sector, he is acknowledged as a leader in Euromoney's "Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers” and recommended in the Legal 500 (2015) for Derivatives and Structured Products.
- Pension Insurance Corporation on a GBP 1.6bn longevity reinsurance agreement with the Prudential Insurance Company of America (PICA) covering in-payment lives across 74 pension schemes – a transaction described as representing “another milestone for the longevity reinsurance market”.
- A major international reinsurer on a collateralised longevity transaction with a leading UK life insurer in respect of an GBP 800m portfolio of in-payment annuities.
- Pension Insurance Corporation on its GBP 1.6bn collateralised buy-in with the Trustee of the Total UK Pension Plan and associated reinsurance arrangements – noted as a “standout transaction” in the FT Innovative Law Firm Awards 2015.
- A leading global reinsurer on the development and implementation of master collateral, security and close-out netting arrangements with a major UK insurance company in respect of underlying longevity reinsurance arrangements.
- A leading global investment bank on the eligibility of credit insurance products for recognition as risk mitigation techniques under CRD IV.
- SCOR Global Life on its provision of longevity reinsurance to Sun Life of Canada in respect of an underlying CAD 5bn transaction in respect of the Bell Canada pension plan – the first such transaction to be concluded in the Canadian market.
- A global investment bank on numerous transactions involving the use of insurance and demand guarantee products for credit risk hedging purposes.
- 1990 – MA (Jurisprudence), Worcester College, Oxford