In an increasingly litigious environment, effective management of professional, clinical and regulatory investigations continue to protect the integrity and accountability of the professions.
CMS’ education, health and social care professional risks team regularly represents corporate entities, practitioners, membership bodies and insurers. Our work includes, large-scale complex investigations involving matters such as safeguarding and whistle-blower allegations in organisations such as hospitals, health and social care providers and education establishments and children’s homes. In addition, we have particular expertise (gained from our work in professional disciplinary investigations and complex clinical negligence claims) representing members of the medical profession and corporate providers in inquiries and inquests into patient deaths.
We regularly advise on regulatory action, investigations and hearings conducted by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), General Optical Council (GOC), General Medical Council (GMC), Care Quality Commission (CQC), and Ofsted.
Our recent experience related to education, social care and professional risks include:
- Leading a large, complex, multi-party Safeguarding investigation on behalf of an NHS Trust following whistle-blower allegations concerning the safety of elderly patients.
- Acting on behalf of a large education and social care provider following whistle-blower complaints made to the Police and regulatory bodies to investigate the quality of service, and advise on legal requirements around processes and procedures.
- Advising a major European insurer in relation to a criminal investigation by the CQC. CMS successfully argued that a full criminal prosecution was not required.
- Advising the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in relation to their investigation procedures which included process mapping and reporting on recommendations.
- Representing two senior doctors in a high profile GMC investigation regarding their involvement with a now convicted surgeon.
What clients say about us:
- Rachel Cooper is “one of the best in the business; she's very hard-working and gives honest, accurate advice."
- Chris Horsefield is "a massively experienced clinical negligence specialist who is always cool under pressure”
- Yvonne Screene is described as “one of the most proficient in this area of law”
- The “always calm and focused rising star” Katie Clarke (nee Henderson) is “'an extremely intelligent, hardworking associate with an exceptional eye for detail and immaculate case preparation”
To find out more about other related services you can visit the Risk and Investigations expertise section.