Highlights of experience in Competition in Hungary
- Major Hungarian bank in the judicial review procedure of the Hungarian Competition Office’s infringement decision relating to the multilateral interchange fees, where following the second instance court’s annulment of the infringement decision, the Supreme Court of Hungary has initiated a preliminary ruling procedure before the European Court of Justice. CMS Budapest has already appeared in front of the European Court of Justice, which received strong publicism in the region.
- Major media company on one of the rare cases of alleged abuse of dominance in the market of television advertising in Hungary. Using our unpaired sector knowledge, we successfully elaborated an in-depth analysis and a detailed argumentation closing the case without establishing any infringement.
- CEE’s leading Hungarian banking group on the merger clearance of one of the largest cross-border transactions ever performed by a Hungarian company. The series of transactions involved 6 jurisdictions within CEE and the team coordinated 26 cross-border merger filings with the assistance of several CMS offices.
- One of the largest Hungarian companies on the private damages claim following the European Commission’s infringement decision and record fine in the Truck cartel case. CMS Budapest’s mandate involves the representation of several foreign subsidiaries, an in-depth preliminary antitrust analysis of the potential damages, the preparation of the relevant court claims, and the initiation of antitrust damages actions against each manufacturer affected.
- Hungary’s leading telecom company on a comparative advertising case in the telecommunications sector with a record-breaking fine. Following CMS Budapest successful counterarguments in its final and binding judgement the Hungarian Supreme Court overruled the Hungarian Competition Office’s decision. Therefore, the authority had to repay the record-breaking fine with interest to the company
- Major consumer products company on the setting up of a JV with a competitor; advising on state aid matters relating to the new distributor system in Hungary, preparation of code of conduct and training of teams involved.