According to the general rules of defect of products claims, a manufacturer will be liable for all defects appearing during the exploitation of an AV due to the fault of the manufacturer. In this case, a customer will have the right to:
- proportional reduction of the price;
- free of charge elimination of defects within a reasonable time;
- reimbursement of costs for elimination of defects.
During the warranty period a customer has the right to warranty repair at a manufacturer's expense. The repair works may be provided either by a vehicle service company, officially appointed by the manufacturer, or by the manufacturer itself.
If defects of a significant nature are due to the manufacturer`s fault, a customer may:
- terminate the sale purchase agreement and refund, or
- demand substitution of the vehicle.
At the same time, these actions can only be taken during the warranty period.
Under the Commercial Code of Ukraine, the liability of the manufacturer may not be limited.
Such rules should reasonably apply to AVs as well. However, no information on AV use in Ukraine and the respective application of these rules are currently available.