We are a well-established legal advisor in Kenyan M&A transactions. Our partners have advised on a wide variety of mergers, acquisitions and disposals of companies, shareholdings, businesses and assets. We have also successfully dealt with some of the most complex of M&A transactions in Kenya and advise both local and multi-national organizations on the structuring and implementation of both private and public M&A’s (including advising on the relevant capital markets and regulatory authority requirements).
Our Lawyers regularly advise on the Kenyan Competition Act and are actively involved with the filing of merger notification applications with the Competition Authority of Kenya as well as providing advice on the COMESA Competition Commission regulations and their application to Kenyan and other COMESA country transactions.
Indicative Work Experience
- Acting for the shareholders of the Sadolin East Africa Group of Companies (Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania Zanzibar and Burundi) on their sale of shares to Kansai Plascon Africa Limited and advising on all aspects of this complex cross border transaction to successful completion.
- Advising Vodafone Group on the sale of a majority shareholding in Vodafone Kenya to Vodacom Group.
- Acting for Old Mutual Holdings Limited on its acquisition of shares from Centum Investment Limited and Dr. Chris Kirubi amounting to more than 60% of the shares in UAP Holdings Limited, the largest value transaction in Kenya in recent years. We advised on all aspects of the acquisition, negotiation and drafting of transaction documents.
- Acting for Britam Holdings on their acquisition of shares in Real Insurance Kenya, undertaking due diligence on the company and negotiating and drafting all transaction documents.
- Advising Old Mutual Holdings Limited in regards to its acquisition of a 70% shareholding in the stock broking company Reliable Securities Limited.
- Acting for EABS Bank Limited in its strategic sale to Ecobank Transnational Limited to become Ecobank Kenya Limited.
- Acting for WPP Scangroup Limited on its various acquisitions including ; acquisition of Red Sky Limited, the joint venture with Millward Brown UK Limited, investment in West Africa, the joint venture with the WPP Group in setting up a public relations business under the name Hill & Knowlton East Africa Limited, the investment by the WPP Group for new shares in Scangroup Limited, and the purchase of 50% of the issued share capital of Ogilvy East Africa Limited and O&M Africa BV all involving the procurement of all necessary Monopolies, Capital Markets and other Governmental approvals.
- Acting for De La Rue Plc on the establishment of their Kenyan EPZ located currency and security print plant and joint venture negotiations with the Government.
- Acting on behalf of Asante Capital EPZ Limited in respect of an equity investment by Moringa Partnership in their agro forestry business at the Kenyan Coast.