09:30 - Registration
10:00 - Recent trends and developments in EU merger control – the view from the Commission
Birthe Panhans, Deputy Head of the Merger Policy Unit
10:40 - Objections and prohibition decisions – blocking deals on competition concerns
- Competition concerns of EU competition authorities - what comes next? Is the statement of objections a quasi-prohibition in legal terms?
- The role of economic concerns in justifying prohibitions in view of latest cases on the EU and national levels
- The return of the public interest debate in the Alstom/Siemens case - does the EU need to re-think merger control rules to allow creating “European champions”? What would be the implications for national enforcement?
Panelists: Birthe Panhans, DG Comp; Patrycja Gołos, UPC; Aleksandra Boutin, Positive Competition; Małgorzata Urbańska, CMS; Adam Jasser, CARS (moderator)
12:20 - Coffee break
12:30 - Gun jumping – practical challenges following Altice
- Gun jumping on the radar in Europe and across the globe as seen in recent cases - Altice/PT Portugal, EY/ KPMG.
- Practical challenges for M&A transactions - how far can the purchaser go to secure his investment? The deal makers perspective.
Panelists: Bernadetta Kasztelan-Świetlik, Gessel; Mateusz Błachucki, the Office of Competition and Consumer Protection; Małgorzata Modzelewska de Raad, Modzelewska i Paśnik; Maciej Bernatt, CARS (moderator)
14:00 – Lunch
Individual presentations in each panel will be followed by a general discussion with the audience.