Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Piotr Ciołkowski is an attorney-at-law and a partner in the Energy and Projects Department at CMS Poland. He manages the Regulatory team which operates within the Department.
He specialises in advising on regulatory issues in the energy sector. He represents Polish and foreign companies that operate in the sector on matters related to commencing and pursuing activities on the Polish market. His experience includes legal advice in connection with obtaining licences and tariffs as well as on how to structure activities. In particular, he has been involved in unbundling processes, the creation of trade models and legislative work.
Piotr also advises on trade in oil, gas and energy. He has prepared and negotiated sales contracts for electricity, fuel and certificates. He has also participated in M&A transactions in the energy sector, including the acquisition of one of the largest distribution companies and the acquisition of wind farms. He took part in the acquisition of a network of petrol stations, as well as the acquisition of a rail terminal.
Piotr’s experience includes representing clients in administrative proceedings and in litigation, particularly with the President of the Energy Regulatory Office.
- CVC Capital Partners, one of the world's leading private equity and investment advisory firms, on the acquisition of PKP Energetyka, one of the major sellers of electricity and power distribution company, from Polish State Railways in the tender process. Transaction value: PLN 1.41 bln.
- Orange in relation to entering the Polish electric energy market including negotiating power purchase agreements concerning purchase of power on the wholesale market and preparing agreements to sell energy to energy off-takers.
- PGNiG in relation to the launch of a gas exchange on the Polish Power Exchange and related regulatory advice.
- Polish energy and heat generators in the scope of drafting new legislation in the scope of restoring support for cogeneration and in negotiations with the European Commission as an expert of the Ministry of Economy.
- CHP Nowa Sarzyna and CHP Zielona Góra on preparation and negotiations of PPAs that replaced long-term contracts for electric energy supplies.
- Grupa LOTOS in relation to the negotiations of oil purchase agreements with the values of PLN 17.7 billion and PLN 27 billion respectively.
- Polish CHP plant in relation to the successfully resolved dispute with the President of the Energy Regulatory Office concerning yellow certificates, precedent in its nature.
- Number of foreign power companies in relation to entering the Polish gas and energy markets.
- MA, Faculty of Law and Administration, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań
- German School of Law, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań
- Faculty of Law and Economics, University of Bayreuth, Bayreath, Germany
- Warsaw Bar Association of Attorneys-at-Law
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member, ELSA Lawyers’ Society
- Infrastructure Investments and Environmental Protection in the Energy Law, 2014, Adam Mickiewicz University Press
- National Congress PETROBIZNES Paliwa, Chemia, Gaz in Warsaw, 2017 – moderation of a panel discussion on new priorities and goals for the fuel and gas sector to 2020.
- Seminar titled “The capacity market – opportunities, obligations, strategies” in Warsaw, 2017 – lecture on the regulatory environment for the capacity market.
- European Economic Congress in Katowice, 2016 – panel discussion on gas market.