Head of Oil & Gas
Head of Oil & Gas
Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Tomasz Minkiewicz is an attorney-at-law and a partner in the Energy and Projects Department at CMS Poland. He heads the Oil & Gas Sector team which operates within the Department.
He specializes mainly in providing legal services to Polish and foreign entities from the oil and gas sector, as well as from the fuel, mining and petrochemical sector. He has also provided advisory services to entities from the conventional energy sector, at projects concerning the construction of new generation capacities and in the scope of regulatory and contractual issues (including power purchase agreements, agreements to purchase raw materials for generating energy and EPC contracts).
His experience in providing advisory services to entities from the oil and gas sector includes widely understood regulatory issues (including licenses, concessions, permits and environmental issues), contractual issues with respect to preparing and negotiating joint venture agreements in relation to oil and gas exploration, as well as issues related to exploration for mineral – including natural gas from unconventional deposits. As part of these projects Tomasz Minkiewicz provided legal services connected with drilling and seismic works agreements, as well as in relation to the sale of minerals.
His recent projects include representation of the borrower in a reserve base financing of an upstream company operating in Poland, as well as representing the sellers in a three acquisitions of Polish hydrocarbon exploration and production properties.
Tomasz Minkiewicz has also taken part in legislation works, inter alia, he participated in the preparation of the provisions on stranded costs, as well as he co-operated at preparing studies for the Energy Regulatory Authority concerning potential solutions in the field of electric and thermal energy tariffs.
The prestigious legal ranking publications have ranked Tomasz Minkiewicz as one of the leading lawyers for energy and natural resources in Poland for many years. The Chambers & Partners directory ranks him in Band 1, whereas the Legal 500 recognises him as a “Leading Individual” in this field.
- Central European Petroleum on tender proceedings for a hydrocarbon concession, as well as on miscellaneous environmental, permitting, regulatory, corporate and tax aspects of conducting upstream oil and gas business in Poland, in the Wolin area.
- CalEnergy Resources on the Baltic Gas Project, a JV project with LOTOS Petrobaltic. The project involves the development for production of two offshore gas fields and the construction of related facilities and infrastructure, including a pipeline from the platform to onshore facilities. We advised on joint venture documents, field service contracts, gas, LPG and condensate sale agreements, permitting and regulatory matters. This project is the first Polish JV involving development of off-shore hydrocarbon fields.
- An Australian company on a farm-in project regarding tight gas deposits in Western Poland.
- Grupa Azoty on the construction of a propane dehydrogenation and polypropylene production plant based on licensed technologies with auxiliary infrastructure in Police, Poland. Kopex Ex-Coal on the construction of a coal mine in Przeciszów, Poland. Our advice included all the legal aspects of the project, including project agreements, regulatory, environmental and real estate issues.
- BNK Petroleum on regulatory, corporate, tax, real property and contractual matters (contracts for geological works), as well as tax advice relating to a joint venture, in relation to exploration for hydrocarbons in Poland.
- Chevron on the acquisition of Lublin Energy Resources, regulatory, licensing and environmental issues relating to upstream operations regarding unconventional hydrocarbons, obtaining surface rights for operations in South-Eastern Poland, relations with the local stakeholders.
- FX Energy (currently owned by PKN Orlen): advising on all aspects of upstream petroleum operations in Poland including JV agreements on exploration and production of hydrocarbons, natural gas and oil sales agreements, contracts for field services, EPC contracts for gas installations and reserve-based financing.
- ConocoPhillips on all aspects of shale gas exploration projects in Poland, including farm-in issues, geological and mining law regulations, environmental protection, real estate, employment and immigration, local authority relations and contractual issues.
- 1998 – Qualified as an attorney at law in Poland, Warsaw Bar Association of Attorneys-at-Law.
- 1987 – M.A., Faculty of Law and Administration, University of Warsaw, Poland.
- 1985 – M.A., Faculty of Foreign Trade at the Central School of Planning and Statistics, Warsaw, Poland.
- Warsaw Bar Association of Attorneys-at-Law