Head of Corporate, Singapore
Head of Corporate, Singapore
7 Straits View
Marina One East Tower
Toby is the Office Managing Partner based in the Singapore office. He has a long-standing record of advising on cross-border, corporate, M&A and investment transactions in the Asia-Pacific region, in particular, Indonesia and has previously practised in China and Australia.
His core specialism is corporate and M&A transactions with a focus on natural resources and related industries, technology, FMCG and hotels & leisure. He advises clients on all aspects of M&A and greenfield projects, investment structuring, early-stage and startup companies, shareholder and joint venture agreements, other forms of investment instruments and a wide spectrum of operational agreements (including licensing, trading and specialist services agreements).
Toby acts for a range of international and regional corporate groups, financial institutions and individual clients in the region, including JPMorgan, Dong-A Socio Holdings, MAA Group Berhad, LG International, REA Holdings plc and VoiceBox Technologies.
Toby is an Asialaw Leading Lawyer 2014 and 2015 in M&A and Banking & Finance, a leading lawyer in IFLR1000 (2016 and 2017) for Financial & Corporate Law, a recommended practitioner in Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2016) in Banking & Finance and Shipping and ranked in Chambers 2016 and 2017 as an expert based abroad for Indonesia - Corporate / M&A.
Toby is dual qualified in both Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised DAN on its acquisition of PT Valuklik, one of Indonesia's leading digital performance companies. PT Valuklik is headquartered in Jakarta and delivers marketing services across all digital media channels, including SEM, SEO, social media, programmatic media and performance content.
- Advised Myanmar Strategic Holdings (MSH) in respect of their joint venture with Auston Institute of Management (Auston) to establish and operate a higher education college in Yangon, Myanmar. CMS provided advice on the joint venture arrangements, including on the form of the USD 500,000 of funding MSH would provide, and on the licence arrangements, pursuant to which Auston is contributing the curriculum and industry knowledge.
- Advised MBG on their Series Seed funding round led by a consortium of investors. MBG is a start-up specialising in the development of mobile massively online role-playing games and its prominent investors include Rocket Internet’s Global Founders Capital fund. The Series Seed round values MBG at US$10 million.
- Morgan Stanley on the establishment of a securities brokerage and the associated acquisition of a seat and share of the Indonesian Stock Exchange.
- The Export Credit Agencies and banks on the Indonesian aspects of the USD 1.8 billion project financing of the Donggi-Senoro LNG project in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia (the first LNG project in Indonesia to adopt a downstream development model).
- Korea Resources Corporation on shareholding arrangements with its Indonesian coal investments.
- One of Korea's largest pharmaceutical companies on regional investments.
- Indonesia’s largest cellular telecommunications company and its investment banking advisor on the proposed restructuring of its telecommunication towers business worth in excess of USD 1 billion.
- A global Spanish-based pharmaceutical group on the acquisition of a national Indonesian pharmaceutical company.
- Jinchuan Group (one of the world's largest nickel refiners) on the acquisition of two Indonesian nickel producers.
- An on-line luxury art and collectibles site on its USD 2.5 million Series A capital raising with a private family business.
- A UK listed plc on its Indonesian plantation operations.
- A US technology group on its joint venture with the technology development of the Singapore Government.
- 2002 – LLB (1st Class Hons), University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- 2002 – B.Com, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Co-authored the Indonesian country commentary in International Securities Regulation – Pacific Rim, Vols I-IV (Thomson Reuters) 2011-2014
- Indonesian country section of Getting the Deal Through – Telecoms & Media 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Indonesian country page, Asia-Pacific Anti-Trust Review in Global Competition Review 2009
- Quarterly lectures at the Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights on contemporary international legal issues (2009 – 2015)
- Speaker and panellist at Japan Institute for Overseas Investment ("JOI") seminar in Tokyo on Financial Institution M&A in Indonesia, May 2013
- Speaker and panellist at the Infrastructure Leaders Forum, Jakarta, November 2013
- Lecture at Atma Jaya University, Jakarta on contract law (2012)
- Presenter at In-House Congress Jakarta 2011 on Indonesia's Competition Law