CMS is a leading advisor and “go to” Firm for the offshore wind sector. We have advised on project arrangements, transactions, financings across more than 60 offshore wind farms worldwide, including the first R&D and then commercial scale floating offshore wind farms. CMS leads the sector, having helped to develop many of the early approaches that are now universal across the sector, such as some of the first shareholder structures, managed services agreements, offshore land and consenting arrangements. We continue to advise in new and emerging markets such as Taiwan, China and Vietnam.
Selected relevant experience includes advising:
- Dogger Bank (1.2GW)- Advising Forewind and its consortium members (Statoil, Statkraft, RWE and SSE) on the projects. Subsequently advising Equinor and SSE on taking forward Creyke Beck A and B and Teesside A.
- Hornsea (1GW+)- Advising Siemens and Mainstream on sales to DONG Energy.
- Moray Firth East (1866MW)- Advising the project company on many aspects of the Moray Firth development, including contracting issues and the joint venture through to consenting and day-to-day matters. Advising EDP Renováveis on its original joint venture with Repsol on the acquisition of SeaEnergy. Subsequently advising EDP Renováveis on sales of stakes in the project to: (i) Engie and Diamond Generation prior to the award of its CfD; and (ii) China Three Gorges following financial close.
- Beatrice (588MW) – Advising on consents required for both the offshore and onshore elements of its wind farm development in the Outer Moray Firth. Advised Repsol on the disposal of a 25% stake in the project.
- Inch Cape (784MW)- Advising on consenting and contract procurement strategy. Negotiating key initial documents, including The Crown Estate documents. Advising Repsol on the disposal of a 100% stake in the project.
- Dudgeon (560MW)- Advising on numerous aspects of the project, including detailed advice on securing Investment Contracts under EMR and in relation to power purchase agreements. Advising on the acquisition of the project by Statoil and Statkraft and subsequent sale of a stake to Masdar. Advising shareholders on the divestment of the OFTO transmission assets.
- Galloper (340MW)- Advising in relation to the proposed project financing, including on bankability of different contracting forms (LOGIC etc). Advising a bidder participating in a tender exercise on the purchase of associated transmission assets.
- Triton Knoll (900MW)- Advising Statkraft on its acquisition of 50% of the project from RWE, including advice in relation to the service arrangements, consenting and subsidy issues. Advising a bidder on the acquisition of a stake in the project from Innogy in 2018.
- Hohe See (497MW)- Advising EnBW on design and structuring of the project and on the negotiation of project agreements.
- Global Tech 1 (400 MW)- Advising on all aspects of the pathfinder project including drafting and negotiating the full contract suite (including TSA and SWA with Areva) to financial close.
- Gode Wind I (330MW)- Advised The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited, a fund managed by InfraRed Capital Partners, on the acquisition of a 25% indirect equity interest in Gode Wind 1, a 330MW offshore wind farm located in the German North Sea, from Global Infrastructure Partners.
- Gode Wind II (252MW)- Advising Vestas on the negotiation of the TSA and the SWA with PNE Wind, including considering project finance issues.
- Veja Mate (400MW)- Advising on the €1.2billion pre-construction financing of this project. Drafting and negotiation of the full contract suite. Advising on drafting and negotiating long form debt term sheet and equity documentation. Advising Highland Group on the acquisition of the project from BARD group, including consenting and regulatory issues.
- Borssele I & II (700MW) – Advising DONG Energy on the regulatory framework of the envisaged offshore wind energy tender of this project.
- Borssele III & IV (680MW)- Advising DONG Energy on the second Dutch offshore wind tender.
- Prinses Amaliawindpark (120MW)- Lead advisor to Econcern on the development of this offshore wind park, including the project financing, corporate structuring, procurement and construction.
- Noordzeewind (108MW)- Assisting Bouwcombinatie Egmond (Ballast Nedam and Vestas) in arbitration in relation to the EPC contract.
- Q10 (129MW)- Advising Vestas in relation to the TSA and SWA.
- Yunlin Offshore Wind Farm (640MW) - Advising John Laing on its bid for a stake in Yunlin Holding GmbH, the holding company of Yunneg Wind Power Co. Ltd, which owns and develops the 640MW Yunlin offshore wind farm in Taiwan.
- Formosa 1 (Phase 2) Offshore Wind Farm (120MW)- Advising on contracts for the Formosa 1 (Phase 2) offshore wind farm project in Taiwan.
Floating offshore wind
- Kincardine floating offshore wind farm (50MW) - Advising Kincardine Offshore Windfarm Limited in relation to the sale of the company and related structuring, funding and commercial and construction agreements.
- Hywind floating offshore wind farm (30MW) - Advising on numerous aspects of the first floating offshore wind farm to be developed in UK waters, including on its managed services arrangements, onshore and offshore land rights, and co-location at Batwind. Also advising Statoil on the sale of its 25% stake to Masdar.
- Windfloat floating offshore wind farm (20MW)- Advised EDP Innovation since the very beginning of the Windfloat Project, and in particular the drafting and negotiation of the initial MoU between EDP and Principal Power, the drafting and negotiation of the Project Agreement, the drafting and negotiation of the turnkey agreement, service Agreement, turbine supply Agreement and all the other project agreements and negotiation of financing agreement with Innovation Support Fund (FAI).