22 April 2009, 13:30 -
Regulatory and Economic Challenges to Regional Airports facing the changing environment
Panel 1: Post-Charleroi case scenarios – EC state aid rules in question?
- Chris Cain - Project Director at Newquay Cornwall Airport – FARE chairman
- Diego Canga Fano – Deputy Head of Cabinet to Antonio Tajani, EC Transport Commissioner
- Annabelle Lepiece - Senior Associate, CMS DeBacker
- Edoardo Vinci – Lawyer, Legal Consultant of SOGEAAL, Alghero Airport
- Klaus Klipp - Secretary General, Assembly of European Regions
15.00-15.30: Coffee break
Running a regional airport in a constrained regulatory and business environment is a challenging task. The regulatory burden on regional aviation is widely regarded by the industry as disproportionate and affects the competitiveness of the sector. A ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach does not reflect the diversity of the regional aviation market. The aggregated costs for regional aviation -national aviation duties, ETS, airport charges – grow larger with every year. Retail business is very important to keep regional airports commercially viable. Can air carriers’ policies affect the regional airport business?
- Neil Pakey - Chief Executive Officer, Liverpool John Lennon Airport
- David Gering - Commercial Director Aviation, PR & Communication, Brussels Charleroi Airport
- Frank O’Connell – President, European Travel Retail Council
- Ronald Schnitker – Director of Legal Affairs, Eindhoven Airport
- Mike Rutter – Chief Commercial Officer, Flybe.com
19.30-21.00 – Welcome dinner