CMS has market-leading experience in relation to EVs, advising OEMs, charging point providers, investors, landlords and other relevant stakeholders in relation to the full range of electric vehicle issues. We are ideally placed to support in relation to all legal aspects of the development of EVs, including: revenue streams (including vehicle to grid), regulatory issues, the full range equipment supply, installation and maintenance agreements, property rights, grid connection arrangements, consumer protection, intellectual property, product liability, financing, corporate and M&A, tax, consenting, and competition.
Selected relevant experience includes advising:
- The management team of Instavolt, the UK-based provider of pay-as-you-go rapid charging points, on the first investment by the Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund.
- Tesla on a range of matters across a number of jurisdictions, including in relation to competition and charging infrastructure issues.
- Pivot Power, the battery storage and EV charging infrastructure provider, on a rnage of matters, including its acquisition by EDF.
- Legal & General on its investment in PodPoint, one of the UK’s largest EV charging point providers, including in relation to due diligence and transaction matters.
- Gridserve on the rollout of its ultra-fast EV charging concept, known as Electric Forecourts, powered by solar power and battery storage.
- BP on its acquisition of Chargemaster, the UK’s biggest electric car charging network, which manufactures and maintains electrical charging units, as well as operating 6,500 charging points across the UK.
- A multinational telecommunications company on the rollout of charging points for EVs using its network infrastructure, including licence implications.
- PitPoint BV in relation to the award of the concession for the supply, installation and operation of EV charging infrastructure in the Brussels Region.
- BP on a collaboration agreement with a vehicle manufacturer to explore the integration of electric vehicle components with BP’s AI peer-to-peer trading platform.
- New Motion, Allego and Alliander on the tender win for electric charging stations in Berlin who were awarded a contract by the Federal State of Berlin for the installation and operation of electric car charging stations.
- A German car manufacturer on the creation of a high-voltage fast charging point network in Poland, including regulatory, commercial and real estate advice.
- Connected Kerb in respect of the supply, installation and operation of kerbside EV charging technology.
- Ford in relation to various electric vehicle matters across Europe.
Our recent thought leadership publication on V2G can be accessed here.