We understand the nature, value and importance of the protection of intellectual property rights and how those rights practically impact the business of our clients.
Our lawyers act on a wide range of intellectual property matters involving opposition, rectification and infringement litigation as well as the more routine matters of registration of trademarks, patents, utility models and industrial designs, renewals, assignments and registered user and license agreements.
Our expertise includes negotiating settlements of trademark disputes, advising on copyrights and plant breeders rights as well as advising on franchising agreements for both international and local franchisers.
We are a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and our lawyers regularly attend INTA meetings, to keep in touch with industry developments and peers.
Our IP team has successfully acted for both Kenyan and international companies on their various IP matters. The companies that we have represented include:
- The Reckitt Benckiser Group of Companies, a British multinational consumer goods company headquartered in Slough, England and a producer of health, hygiene and home products.
- Lego Juris A/S, a toy manufacturing giant and arguably the most valuable toy company in the world.
- Twiga Chemical Industries Ltd., one of the leading companies in Africa, involved in the distribution of crop protection, animal health, consumer products and explosives.
- The Tamarind Group, a company that owns and operates some of the most successful restaurants and leisure operations in Africa.
- Farmer’s Choice Ltd, a retailer of fresh and processed pork products in Kenya.
- Tencent Holdings Ltd., a Chinese investment holding conglomerate whose subsidiaries provide media, entertainment, payment systems, smartphones, internet-related services, value-added services and online advertising services in China, and globally.
- C.Dorman Ltd., coffee roasters and exporters.
- PT. Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur Tbk. (Indofood), an Indonesian company involved in the food industry.
- Jubilee Holdings Ltd., a financial service holding company, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and its associated companies.
- Maersk Group (Maersk), a Danish business conglomerate, with activities in the transport and logistics and energy sectors.