3584 BH Utrecht
3508 AG Utrecht
Bas Baks works in our firms Insurance & Litigation practice group. He specialises in insurance and liability matters, with an emphasis on claims in relation to construction related matters and D&O. Bas has experience in various areas of professional liability and product liability (recall, notifying food authorities, recovery). He has experience in advising and litigating on coverage issues, in which capacity he has represented various international insurance companies and multinationals.
In addition to litigating in civil courts, he has experience in arbitration, including the Arbitration Board for the Building Industry and the NAI.
He has also been deputy registrar to the Dutch Board of Discipline.
Bas has been a practising lawyer since 2000. He started out with a large law firm in Rotterdam, then later gained valuable experience as in-house counsel for a multinational in Eindhoven. He also worked as an intern in the insurance and re-insurance business at CMS Cameron McKenna in London. In June 2009, he completed a post-graduate course in Business and Liability at the Grotius Academy.
- Litigation on behalf of a university against (sub) contractors, car and property insurers regarding material damage from flooded ICT cables and resulting transmission quality issues.
- Litigation/arbitration against employers and car insurers over disputes about defective materials/PI unclear designs/faulty workmanship and other related issues.
- Litigation/arbitration in relation to coverage aspects of a number of large D&O/PI claims.
- Litigation/arbitration on behalf of a construction company against car insurers regarding material damage caused by slags.
- Drafting car policies for insurance companies.
- Advising regularly on the indemnity and insurance provisions relating to construction and PFI projects.
- Litigation on behalf of a university on coverage issues under consequential loss cover in relation to material damage in a power plant.
- Ongoing advice to several insurers regarding specific questions relating to coverage under property, PI and car policies (e.g. exception for third-party owned property, material damage and all its sub-questions, salvage costs etc.).
- Proceedings between various contractors and insurers in connection with liability for delayed construction projects and the underlying policy cover.
- Commerce and Liability, Grotius Academy for Post-Graduate Law Studies
- Dutch Law, Utrecht University
- Insurance law Association
- Lecturer Liability and Insurance Law for the Stichting Opleiding Advocaten Arrondissement Utrecht
- Technical Insurance Professionals Club (Beurs Club Technische Verzekeringen)