CMS offers expert advice at every stage of the funds lifecycle – from planning and launch through governance, restructuring and exit.
The international funds industry is changing at unprecedented speed. Concerns about the environment, sustainability and governance are changing the way many funds work and invest. Asset tokenisation, blockchain, fintech and artificial intelligence (AI) have huge disruptive potential, as do innovative alternative indirect investment vehicles and alternative asset classes. And, inevitably, the regulatory and tax environment for funds continues to evolve.
Whether you are launching, operating, lending to or investing in a fund or an alternative indirect investment vehicle, you need lawyers who have got your back, and who understand not only your business and your requirements, but also the funds landscape and its markets:
A complete service
- We advise on all the key asset classes, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge, venture capital and debt, as well as across private, listed and authorised funds
- Our expertise is allied with industry specialism, including energy, real estate, life sciences and healthcare, hotels and leisure, infrastructure and project finance and financial institutions
- We offer clients a ‘one-stop shop’ service, leveraging various CMS practices such as tax, regulatory, private equity, venture capital, real estate, technology, employment, dispute resolution and finance
- Our real estate funds practice advises on some of the market’s largest fundraisings, clubs and indirect investments
- We are the market leader for REITs and closed-ended listed funds, with our team advising on IPOs, private REITs and secondary fund raisings
- We have a stand-out open-ended and UCITS funds offering.
A global reach
Our clients entrust us with exclusive mandates to advise their multi-manager teams on their investments globally. We have over 130 specialised funds lawyers in core funds jurisdictions:
Other jurisdictions we are active in: Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, US regulatory.
- Our lawyers play a leading role in complex conversations – such as the role of tokenisation and AI – which are shaping the future of the funds sector
- Through our strong ties with industry organisations (IPF, AREF, INREV, BCO, BPF, LPeC, BVCA, EPRA, IA, and ABBL) we are at the forefront of conversations on the most pressing topics affecting the international and local funds industries.
The quality of our work is recognised by awards, rankings, and landmark deals such as:
- Affiliate of the Year Award 2019 - AREF (Association of Real Estate Funds)
- 20 Rankings in Legal 500 and Chambers, including Tier 1 for Real Estate Investments Funds (UK), Retail Investment Funds (UK), Investment Funds (Scotland), and Investment Funds (Poland)
- 1st French fund invested in crypto assets
- 1st real estate club-deal through blockchain in Europe
- 1st corporate venture capital fund in Poland to commercialise new tech startups
- 1st global gaming-focused VC fund in Singapore
- 1st Italian credit fund specialised in the business of trade receivables
- Adviser to innovation projects submitted to the 1st Spanish sandbox
CMS Funds Group is getting recognition as a top tier funds firm in Europe and Asia, growing globally by providing a “one international firm” coordinated, consistently excellent funds platform.
Find out more